West Itchenor shown within West Sussex
|Area||4.13 km2 (1.59 sq mi) |
|Population||451  2001 Census|
|- Density||109 /km2 (280 /sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|- London||58 miles (93 km) N|
|Civil parish||West Itchenor|
|Shire county||West Sussex|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||South East Coast|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
West Itchenor is a village and civil parish in the Chichester District of West Sussex, England. It lies north of the B2179 Chichester to West Wittering road 4.5 miles (7.3 km) southwest of Chichester. The village lies on the shores of Chichester Harbour.
West Itchenor was an ancient parish of the county of Sussex. Until 1894 it formed part of Manhood Hundred, an ancient division of Chichester Rape. From 1894 to 1933 it was part of Westhampnett Rural District. From 1933 to 1974 it was part of Chichester Rural District, and since 1974 it has been a part of Chichester District.
Northshore Shipyard is located in West Itchenor, and had has been the site of the complete manufacturing of Fisher and Southerly yachts, since the mid-1970s. In April 2013, it was reported that Northshore was experiencing financial difficulties and that the future of the boatbuilding company and its estimated 160 employees is in doubt.
West Itchenor falls under The Witterings electoral division which returns one member to sit on West Sussex County Council. Itchenor also falls under West Wittering electoral ward which returns two members to sit on Chichester District Council. Itchenor is a part of the Chichester constituency, which has been a safe Conservative seat since 1924.
- Chichester Harbour, a Site of Special Scientific Interest, is located partly within the parish. This is a wetland of international importance, a Special Protection Area for wild birds and a Special Area of Conservation. The harbour is of particular importance for wintering wildfowl and waders of which five species reach numbers which are internationally important.
- Itchenor Sailing Club has been the site of social activity within the village since its founding in 1927. The club hosts sailing events all year round and is recognised as an RYA Volvo Champion Club.
- The Church of St. Nicholas in West Itchenor is a part of the Prebendary of Wightring. It was founded around 1175 by Hugh Esturmy. In 1935 it's parish joined with the Parish of Birdham to make the Parish of Birdham with Itchenor. Fifty-one years later, in 1986, the Parish of Birdham with Itchenor united with the Parish of West Wittering to make the Benefice of West Wittering and Birdham with Itchenor.
- Jonathan Church (1967-), stage director
- Pete Postlethwaite OBE (1946-2011), actor
- Polly Adams (1939-), actress
- David Cobb (1921-), maritime artist
- Evelyn Laye OBE (1900-1996), actress
- Charles Dixon (1872-1934), maritime artist
- Wyatt Gibbs (1830-1891), cricketer
- Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond (1735-1806), politician
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to West Itchenor.|
- "2001 Census: West Sussex – Population by Parish". West Sussex County Council. Retrieved 25 May 2009.
- "Southerly - About". Southerly website.
- Laura Kitching (April 23, 2013). "Northshore Yachts in 'financial difficulties'". Practical Boat Owner.
- SSSI Citation — Chichester Harbour (PDF). Natural England. Retrieved 7 April 2009.
- Guide to the Church