West Jasper Place, Edmonton
|West Jasper Place|
The MacEwan University Centre for the Arts is located in West Jasper Place
|• Administrative body||Edmonton City Council|
|• Councillor||Linda Sloan|
|• Total||0.89 km2 (0.34 sq mi)|
|Elevation||673 m (2,208 ft)|
|• Density||3,332.6/km2 (8,631/sq mi)|
|• Change (2009–12)||-2.9%|
West Jasper Place is a residential neighbourhood in west Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Originally part of the Town of Jasper Place, West Jasper Place became a part of Edmonton when Edmonton and Jasper Place amalgamated on August 17, 1964.
While most of the neighbourhood is residential, there is some commercial development, with most of this adjacent to Stony Plain Road at the neighbourhood's north end. This development includes the Jasper Gates shopping centre.
As an item of note, during the 1980s and 1990s, Edmonton Transit System buses travelling out to West Edmonton Mall and the neighbourhoods west of 170 Street showed a destination of West Jasper Place. This meant a bus route with a destination west of the old Jasper Place townsite, rather than a bus route with the neighbourhood of West Jasper Place as the destination. Bus routes terminating in the townsite area usually showed a destination of Jasper Place.
In the City of Edmonton's 2012 municipal census, West Jasper Place had a population of  a -2.9% change from its 2009 population of 3,055. With a land area of 0.89 km2 (0.34 sq mi), it had a population density of 3,332.6 people/km2 in 2012.2,966 living in 1,696 dwellings,
According to the 2005 municipal census, one in five (17.9%) of the population having moved within the previous 12 months. Another one in four (23.9%) had moved within the previous one to three years. Only two out of every five (42.7%) had lived at the same address for five years or more. This is similar to the city at large.
Just over half (51%) were male and just under half (49%) were female.
According to the 2001 federal census, just under one third (29.4%) of the residential dwellings in the neighbourhood were built prior to the amalgamation of Jasper Place and Edmonton, with a significant number being built prior to the end of World War II. Appriximately half (48.2%) of the residences were built between 1960 and 1980. The remainder are more recently with a spike in home construction occurring in the early 1990s when one in ten (11.7%) or residences were constructed.
In 2005, three out of every five residences (59.3%) were rented apartments with a small number apartment style condominiums. Most of these are in low rise buildings with fewer than five stories. Another third of the residences (35.5%) were single detached houses. A small number were duplexes (5%).
Approximately two out of every three (68%) or residences are rented with the remaining one out of three (32%) being owner occupied.
There is a single school at the southern edge of the neighbourhood, Sherwood Elementary School, operated by the Edmonton Public School System.
The Centre for the Arts Campus (formerly Jasper Place Campus) of MacEwan University is located near the north west corner of the neighbourhood.
Parks and green space
There is a single park in the neighbourhood, Arthur Elliot Park.
Bike trails in the McKinnon Ravine, located just across 149 Street in Crestwood, provide access to the city's river valley park system.
- "City of Edmonton Wards & Standard Neighbourhoods" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "Edmonton Developing and Planned Neighbourhoods, 2011" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "The Way We Grow: Municipal Development Plan Bylaw 15100" (PDF). City of Edmonton. 2010-05-26. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "City of Edmonton Plans in Effect" (PDF). City of Edmonton. November 2011. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "City Councillors". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "Neighbourhoods (data plus kml file)". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "Municipal Census Results – Edmonton 2012 Census". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
- "2009 Municipal Census Results". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
- Includes triplexes and quadruplexes.