West Lavington, West Sussex
Church of St. Mary Magdalene
West Lavington shown within West Sussex
|Area||2.45 km2 (0.95 sq mi) |
|Population||298  2001 Census|
|– density||121 /km2 (310 /sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|– London||45 miles (72 km) NE|
|Civil parish||West Lavington|
|Shire county||West Sussex|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||South East Coast|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
West Lavington is a village and civil parish on the edge of Midhurst in the Chichester district of West Sussex, England. It contains a small private nursery school and the (now deconsecrated) church of St Mary Magdalene.
The church was constructed for Henry Edward Manning who was at the time rector of Woolavington, now East Lavington, with West Lavington forming a detached portion of that parish until 1851. The churchyard contains the grave of Richard Cobden although he lived in the neighbouring parish of Heyshott.
In the 2001 census there were 111 households with a total population of 298 of whom 115 were economically active.
As a result of falling congregations and the church's poor condition, St Mary Magdalene church was closed in September 2008 and the congregation transferred to neighbouring Cocking. The two parishes were subsequently united and are now known as "The Parish of Cocking with West Lavington". In 2013, the former church at West Lavington was offered for sale, although the graveyard will continue to belong to the parish with public access.
- "2001 Census: West Sussex – Population by Parish". West Sussex County Council. Retrieved 5 June 2009.
- "West Lavington church to close". Gravelroots (The Rother Valley Guide). 9 August 2007. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "Ceiling fall could spell end for West Lavington church". Mid Sussex Times. 3 September 2008. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "St Catherine of Siena: About the Parish". A Church Near You. The Church of England. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "St Mary Magdalene Church". House for sale: West Lavington, Midhurst, West Sussex. www.rightmove.co.uk. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "St Mary Magdalene Church West Lavington". Jackson-Stops & Staff. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to West Lavington, West Sussex.|