West Little River, Florida
|West Little River, Florida|
Location in Miami-Dade County and the state of Florida
U.S. Census Bureau map showing CDP boundaries
|• Total||4.6 sq mi (12 km2)|
|• Land||4.6 sq mi (11.9 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||7 ft (2 m)|
|• Density||7,064.8/sq mi (2,708.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1867230|
Most of West Little River was originally a neighborhood of the City of Miami when it was annexed into the city of Miami in 1925. With the arrival of the Great Depression, the City of Miami gave up its jurisdiction and West Little River became an unincorporated area of Miami-Dade County.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 4.6 square miles (12 km2), of which, 4.6 square miles (12 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (1.08%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 32,498 people, 9,519 households, and 7,386 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 7,093.3 people per square mile (2,739.6/km²). There were 10,298 housing units at an average density of 2,247.7/sq mi (868.1/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 32.53% White (3.4% were Non-Hispanic White,) 57.22% African American, 0.26% Native American, 0.18% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 5.49% from other races, and 4.25% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 40.05% of the population.
There were 9,519 households out of which 33.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.7% were married couples living together, 27.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.4% were non-families. 17.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.39 and the average family size was 3.75.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 28.3% under the age of 18, 10.2% from 18 to 24, 27.4% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 11.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 95.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.5 males.
As of 2000, West Little River had the thirtieth highest percentage of Cuban residents in the US, with 16.78% of the populace. It had the thirty-first highest percentage of Haitian residents in the US, at 6.0% of the population (tied with Miramar), and the ninth highest percentage of Nicaraguan residents in the US, at 3.58% of its population. It also had the fifty-eighth most Dominicans in the US, at 2.42%, while it had the fourteenth highest percentage of Hondurans, at 2.18% of all residents. West Little River's Bahamian community had the sixth highest percentage of residents, which was at 1.2% (tied with North Miami.) It is also home to the ninety-fourth highest percentage of Guatemalan residents in the US, at 1.2% of the population as well (tied with three other US areas, including Bonita Springs, Fla.)
The median income for a household in the CDP was $26,686, and the median income for a family was $29,013. Males had a median income of $22,058 versus $20,524 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $12,026. About 24.7% of families and 29.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 38.6% of those under age 18 and 28.8% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure
Miami-Dade County Public Schools operates area public schools:
- Miami Park Elementary School
- West Little River Elementary School
- Arcola Lake Elementary School
- Madison Middle School
Colleges and universities
- Miami-Dade College- North Campus (public college)
Miami-Dade Public Library operates area public libraries:
- North Central Library
- Northside (NW 79th Street and NW 32nd Avenue)
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Plaza (NW 62nd Street and NW 27th Avenue)
- Tri-Rail/Metrorail Transfer (NW 79th Street and NW 37th Avenue)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790-2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- "Demographics of West Little River, FL". MuniNetGuide.com. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "MLA Data Center Results of West Little River, FL". Modern Language Association. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Ancestry Map of Cuban Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Ancestry Map of Haitian Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Ancestry Map of Nicaraguan Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Ancestry Map of Dominican Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Ancestry Map of Honduran Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Ancestry Map of Bahamian Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Ancestry Map of Guatemalan Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "West Little River CDP, Florida." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on March 12, 2010.
- "Northside District Station." Miami-Dade Police Department. Retrieved on March 12, 2010.