West Miami, Florida
|City of West Miami|
Location in Miami-Dade County and the state of Florida
U.S. Census Bureau map showing city limits
|• Total||0.7 sq mi (1.8 km2)|
|• Land||0.7 sq mi (1.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation 1||9 ft (3 m)|
|• Density||8,241.5/sq mi (3,188.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0293093|
West Miami is located at (25.757691,-80.296583).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.7 square miles (1.8 km2), all land.
- Flagami (Miami)
- Flagami (Miami) Flagami (Miami)
- Coral Terrace Coral Gables
- Coral Terrace Coral Gables
- Coral Terrace
The city of West Miami, which is only three-quarters of a square mile, is nestled between Tamiami Trail and Coral Way. Among early suggested names for the city were West Haven and West Gate.
Incorporated as a town with 700 residents, West Miami now stands as a city with 6,132 residents, a 4% increase since a 2000 census. Like the Little Havana neighborhood, the majority of West Miami, 84% according to a U.S. census, consists of Hispanics. West Miami is surrounded by its larger neighbors, Coral Gables and Miami.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,863 people, 2,062 households, and 1,587 families residing in the city. The population density was 8,241.5 inhabitants per square mile (3,188.3/km²). There were 2,112 housing units at an average density of 2,968.8 per square mile (1,148.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 91.98% White (15% were Non-Hispanic White,) 0.82% African American, 0.19% Native American, 0.04% Asian, 3.41% from other races, and 3.14% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 84.04% of the population.
There were 2,062 households out of which 26.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.3% were married couples living together, 17.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.0% were non-families. 18.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.80 and the average family size was 3.14.
In the city the population was spread out with 18.4% under the age of 18, 5.9% from 18 to 24, 27.7% from 25 to 44, 22.5% from 45 to 64, and 25.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 83.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $34,910, and the median income for a family was $39,000. Males had a median income of $26,875 versus $26,013 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,850. About 7.6% of families and 9.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.3% of those under age 18 and 7.4% of those age 65 or over.
As of 2000, West Miami had the fourth highest percentage of Cuban residents in the US, with 61.61% of the populace. It had the tenth highest percentage of Nicaraguan residents in the US, at 2.98% of the city's population, and the eighty-first highest percentage of Colombian residents in the US, at 1.91% of its population (tied with Palm Springs, FL.) It also had the thirty-first most Hondurans in the US, at 1.25%, while it had the fifty-eighth highest percentage of Peruvians, at 1.04% of all residents.
City Mayor: Eduardo H. Muhiña
Vice Mayor: Juan M. Blanes
Luciano L. Suarez
Rhonda A. Rodriguez
City Manager: Yolanda Aguilar
City Clerk: Annery Gonzalez
City Attorney: Jose A. Villalobos
The number of violent crimes recorded by the FBI in 2003 was 22, with no homicides. The violent crime rate was 3.6 per 1,000 people.
- "West Miami, Florida (FL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders". Retrieved 2007-06-29.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Community Links: Coral Gables & South Miami Area - MiamiHerald.com
- "Demographics of West Miami, FL". MuniNetGuide.com. Retrieved 2007-11-02.
- "MLA Data Center Results of West Miami, FL". Modern Language Association. Retrieved 2007-11-02.
- "Ancestry Map of Cuban Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-02.
- "Ancestry Map of Nicaraguan Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-02.
- "Ancestry Map of Colombian Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-02.
- "Ancestry Map of Honduran Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-02.
- "Ancestry Map of Peruvian Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-02.
- West Miami, Florida FL, city profile (Miami-Dade County) - hotels, festivals, genealogy, newspapers - ePodunk