West Midlands bus route 7
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (June 2009)|
|Operator||National Express West Midlands
Wright Eclipse Gemini
- Pre-deregulation - Route 7 was originally part of Birmingham City Transport's services 5/6/7 cross-city network linking Perry Common with Bearwood and Edgbaston (Portland Road). Whilst WMPTE were operating the city's buses during the 1970s this was simplified to just Service 7 operating between Perry Common, City Centre and Portland Road. In 1986 the cross-city link was broken completely, Portland Road thereafter being worked by Birmingham-Oldbury-Blackheath Services 128/129.
- May 2008 - Sunrise Travel start operating the 7.
- Burman Travel used to compete on this route using a variety of vehicles culminating with ex-Bournemouth Fleetlines.
- Serverse travel operated a limited number of journeys for a short period of time using Mercedes-Benz 811D buses.
- YourBus operated service 7Y between City Centre & Witton until their sale to West Midlands Travel.
Service 7 serves Birmingham, Witton and Perry Common via the Witton Road. National Express West Midlands (NXWM) operates every 8 minutes Monday - Saturday daytime, 12 minutes on Sunday and 20 evenings during the evening. The route experiences a variety of vehicles on it, usually consisting of Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Geminis, Volvo B7TL/Alexander ALX400s and occasionally Scania OmniLinks.
Central Buses and Midland Rider also run against NXWM on the service, between them providing a service on an infrequent basis. They do not operate evenings or Sundays.
Service 7X is operated by Midland Rider on matchdays and runs between Villa Park and Birmingham only.
MCW Metrobus farewell
In February 2010, NXWM held a farewell event for the MCW Metrobus on route 7. The bus used was ROX654Y (NXWM 2654, nicknamed ROXY due to the letters in the registration).
2654 did a morning running a special running board covering journeys between Birmingham and the Perry Common terminus.