West Mineral, Kansas
|West Mineral, Kansas|
Big Brutus near West Mineral, 2006
Location of West Mineral, Kansas
|• Total||0.34 sq mi (0.88 km2)|
|• Land||0.34 sq mi (0.88 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||902 ft (275 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||183|
|• Density||544.1/sq mi (210.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0469627|
As of the census of 2010, there were 185 people, 81 households, and 49 families residing in the city. The population density was 544.1 inhabitants per square mile (210.1 /km2). There were 95 housing units at an average density of 279.4 per square mile (107.9 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 93.5% White, 1.6% Native American, and 4.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.2% of the population.
There were 81 households of which 30.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.4% were married couples living together, 9.9% had a female householder with no husband present, 6.2% had a male householder with no wife present, and 39.5% were non-families. 38.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.28 and the average family size was 2.96.
The median age in the city was 40.1 years. 23.8% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.6% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26.4% were from 25 to 44; 25.4% were from 45 to 64; and 15.7% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.2% male and 50.8% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 243 people, 100 households, and 73 families residing in the city. The population density was 709.2 people per square mile (275.9/km²). There were 121 housing units at an average density of 353.2 per square mile (137.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 96.30% White, 2.06% Native American, and 1.65% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.47% of the population.
There were 100 households out of which 28.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.0% were married couples living together, 13.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.0% were non-families. 23.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 2.82.
In the city the population was spread out with 25.1% under the age of 18, 7.8% from 18 to 24, 28.8% from 25 to 44, 24.3% from 45 to 64, and 14.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 97.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $31,042, and the median income for a family was $40,000. Males had a median income of $28,036 versus $22,500 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,176. About 8.3% of families and 15.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.7% of those under the age of eighteen and 8.3% of those sixty five or over.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved December 3, 2011.
- Kansas State Historical Society (1916). Biennial Report of the Board of Directors of the Kansas State Historical Society. Kansas State Printing Plant. p. 157.
- "Profile for West Mineral, Kansas". ePodunk. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- "Kansas Post Offices, 1828-1961, page 2". Kansas Historical Society. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- History of Cherokee County, Kansas; Nathanial Allison; Biographical Publishing; 646 pages; 1904. (Download 31MB PDF eBook)
- History of the State of Kansas; William G. Cutler; A.T. Andreas Publisher; 1883. (Online HTML eBook)
- Kansas : A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc; 3 Volumes; Frank W. Blackmar; Standard Publishing Co; 944 / 955 / 824 pages; 1912. (Volume1 - Download 54MB PDF eBook),(Volume2 - Download 53MB PDF eBook), (Volume3 - Download 33MB PDF eBook)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to West Mineral, Kansas.|
- USD 247, local school district
- West Mineral City Map, KDOT
- Cherokee County Map, KDOT
- 1973 USGS Topo Map of West Mineral / Monmouth area