West Monroe, Louisiana
|West Monroe, Louisiana|
West Monroe City Hall
2305 North Seventh Street
|Elevation||82 ft (25 m)|
|Area||8.0 sq mi (20.7 km2)|
|- land||7.7 sq mi (20 km2)|
|- water||0.2 sq mi (1 km2), 2.5%|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Postal code||71291, 71292|
West Monroe is a city in Ouachita Parish, Louisiana, United States. It is situated on the Ouachita River, across from the neighboring city of Monroe. The two cities are often referred to as the Twin Cities of northeast Louisiana. Its population was 13,065 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Monroe Metropolitan Statistical Area.
A 2013 "Community Impressions" report complimented the green spaces, including the Kiroli and Restoration parks, and Antique Alley as important assets to the West Monroe community. Acccording to long-term Mayor Dave Norris, the study confirms "the value of many of the projects we've focused on to enhance quality of life."The report identifies situations in need of improvement, many of which have already been addressed, including the lack or inaccurate signage to area attractions, brown water and the need to renovate certain wells, limited shopping opportunities for clothing, traffic problems on Thomas Road, and the failure to promote the popular phenomenon created from the West Monroe-based A&E reality television series, Duck Dynasty.The consultants declared West Monroe and the general area west of the Ouachita River overall as "a clean, vibrant, growing friendly area ... [with] a small town atmosphere and yet ... many of the amenities and features of a [larger] city."
West Monroe is located at . According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 8.0 square miles (20.6 km²), of which 7.7 square miles (20.0 km²) is land and 0.2 square mile (0.6 km²) (3.14%) is water.(32.510844, -92.140048)
West Monroe is a separate municipality from Monroe.
As of the census of 2000, there were 13,250 people, 5,734 households, and 3,457 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,717.2 people per square mile (662.7/km²). There were 6,312 housing units at an average density of 818.1 per square mile (315.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 61.9% White, 33.6% African American, 0.4% Native American, 0.8% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.48% from other races, and 1.00% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.5% of the population.
There were 5,734 households out of which 26.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 38.5% were married couples living together, 17.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 39.7% were non-families. 34.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.25 and the average family size was 2.90.
In the city the population was spread out with 23.8% under the age of 18, 10.9% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 20.2% from 45 to 64, and 18.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 83.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 79.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $27,522, and the median income for a family was $35,348. Males had a median income of $28,231 versus $22,533 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,803. About 15.6% of families and 21.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 36.1% of those under age 18 and 13.1% of those age 65 or over.
The current mayor is Dave Norris, a Democrat, who has served since 1978.
National Guard 
1022nd Engineer Company (Vertical) of the 527th Engineer Battalion of the 225th Engineer Brigade is located in West Monroe.
Notable people 
- Milburn E. Calhoun, Pelican Books publisher
- Marcus R. Clark, Louisiana Supreme Court justice
- Chris Elrod, Christian comedian and writer
- William C. Feazel, oilman, interim U.S. Senator in 1948, and member of the Louisiana House of Representatives from 1932–1936
- Chuck Finley, Major League Baseball pitcher; California Angels, Cleveland Indians, St. Louis Cardinals
- Bruce Fowler, opera singer
- Donald A. Gonzales, MD (b.1969), otolaryngologist, inventor, serial entrepreneur, founder of ENTrigue Surgical Inc.
- Andy Griggs, country singer
- James D. Halsell, astronaut; space shuttle pilot
- Sam Hanna Sr., late publisher of Ouachita Citizen newspaper; now published by Sam Hanna, Jr.
- Frank Hoffmann, state representative from West Monroe
- Bradie James, NFL linebacker for the Dallas Cowboys who played football at Louisiana State University, Wossman High School, before transferring to West Monroe High School
- Lloyd E. Lenard (1922–2008), businessman, author, and pioneer of the Republican Party in Louisiana
- Rickey Minor, music director, composer and music producer. Born in Monroe.
- Webb Pierce, Country Music Hall of Fame member
- Cassidy Riley, Professional Wrestler for WWE and TNA, Motion Capture Actor for THQ video games
- Phil Robertson, Founder of Duck Commander and cast of Duck Dynasty
- Willie Robertson, CEO of Duck Commander and cast of Duck Dynasty
- Bill Russell, professional basketball player, center for Boston Celtics, five-time NBA Most Valuable Player and twelve-time All-Star
- Shady Wall, politician
- Andrew Whitworth, NFL offensive guard for the Cincinnati Bengals who played football at Louisiana State University and West Monroe High School
- John Calvin Jeter, U.S. News and World Reports Bartender of the Decade and all around friendly dude!
- Si Robertson, of Duck Commander and cast of Duck Dynasty
- Jason Jase Robertson, of Duck Commander and cast of Duck Dynasty
- Jep Robertson, of Duck Commander and cast of Duck Dynasty
- Mountain Man, of Duck Commander and cast of Duck Dynasty
- "Greg Hilburn, "Consultants: 'West Monroe clean, vibrant, growing'"". Monroe News-Star. Retrieved April 27, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Legacy.com Secure Server
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: West Monroe, Louisiana|