West Rancho Dominguez, California
|West Rancho Dominguez|
Location of West Compton in Los Angeles County, California.
|• Total||1.652 sq mi (4.280 km2)|
|• Land||1.652 sq mi (4.280 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||82 ft (25 m)|
|• Density||3,400/sq mi (1,300/km2)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|ZIP code||90220 & 90248|
|GNIS feature IDs||1867070; 2409548|
|U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: West Rancho Dominguez, California; U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: West Rancho Dominguez, California|
West Rancho Dominguez (formerly, West Compton) is an unincorporated census-designated place (CDP) located in southern Los Angeles County, California. The population was 5,669 at the 2010 census, up from 5,435 at the 2000 census. The community lies to the west (but is not a part) of the city of Compton. The ZIP Codes encompassing the CDP area are 90220 & 90248.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 1.7 square miles (4.3 km²), all land.
The 2010 United States Census reported that the CDP had a population of 5,669. The population density was 3,430.8 people per square mile (1,324.6/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 1,054 (18.6%) White (1.3% Non-Hispanic White), 2,974 (52.5%) African American, 32 (0.6%) Native American, 46 (0.8%) Asian, 21 (0.4%) Pacific Islander, 1,354 (23.9%) from other races, and 188 (3.3%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2,526 persons (44.6%).
The Census reported that 5,654 people (99.7% of the population) lived in households, 12 (0.2%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 3 (0.1%) were institutionalized.
There were 1,537 households, out of which 774 (50.4%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 623 (40.5%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 505 (32.9%) had a female householder with no husband present, 139 (9.0%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 88 (5.7%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 10 (0.7%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 210 households (13.7%) were made up of individuals and 102 (6.6%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.68. There were 1,267 families (82.4% of all households); the average family size was 3.98.
The population was spread out with 1,661 people (29.3%) under the age of 18, 636 people (11.2%) aged 18 to 24, 1,449 people (25.6%) aged 25 to 44, 1,241 people (21.9%) aged 45 to 64, and 682 people (12.0%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32.9 years. For every 100 females there were 88.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.3 males.
There were 1,582 housing units at an average density of 957.4 per square mile (369.7/km²), of which 1,114 (72.5%) were owner-occupied, and 423 (27.5%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 1.1%; the rental vacancy rate was 2.1%. 4,129 people (72.8% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 1,525 people (26.9%) lived in rental housing units.
According to the 2010 United States Census, West Rancho Dominguez had a median household income of $44,777, with 16.9% of the population living below the federal poverty line. 
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,435 people, 1,535 households, and 1,209 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 3,313.0 inhabitants per square mile (1,279.6/km²). There were 1,576 housing units at an average density of 960.7 per square mile (371.0/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 67.9% African American, 4.1% White, 0.6% Native American, 0.9% Asian, 0.4% Pacific Islander, 22.5% from other races, and 3.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 33.8% of the population. Non-Hispanic whites comprise only 1.6% of the population.
There were 1,535 households out of which 37.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.8% were married couples living together, 26.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.2% were non-families. 17.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.53 and the average family size was 3.90.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 33.2% under the age of 18, 10.1% from 18 to 24, 26.6% from 25 to 44, 17.7% from 45 to 64, and 12.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females there were 91.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.9 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $38,000, and the median income for a family was $40,280. Males had a median income of $28,719 versus $24,954 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $12,255. About 14.2% of families and 17.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.4% of those under age 18 and 13.8% of those age 65 or over.
- These are the ten neighborhoods in Los Angeles County with the largest percentage of black residents:
- View Park-Windsor Hills, California, 86.5%
- Gramercy Park, Los Angeles, 86.4%
- Leimert Park, Los Angeles, 79.6%
- Manchester Square, Los Angeles, 78.6%
- Baldwin Hills/Crenshaw, Los Angeles, 71.3%
- Ladera Heights, California, 71%
- Hyde Park, Los Angeles, 66%
- Chesterfield Square, Los Angeles, 58.6%
- West Compton, California, 57.6%
- Westmont, California, 57.5%
In the state legislature West Compton is located in the 25th Senate District, represented by Democrat Edward Vincent, and in the 51st Assembly District, represented by Democrat Curren D. Price Jr.. Federally, West Compton is located in California's 37th congressional district, which has a Cook PVI of D +27 and is represented by Democrat Karen Bass.
- U.S. Census
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: West Rancho Dominguez, California. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- Zip Codes for West Rancho Dominguez (West Compton), Los Angeles County, California (with CDP boundary). Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790-2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL1.ST13&prodType=table US Census Bureau
- Census figures prior to 2010 were enumerated as West Compton.
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/0684780.html. Missing or empty
- http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/0684780.html. Missing or empty
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Black", Mapping L.A. at Los Angeles Times
- "Will Gerrymandered Districts Stem the Wave of Voter Unrest?". Campaign Legal Center Blog. Retrieved 2008-02-10.