West Riding and Grimsby Railway
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (November 2006)|
|West Riding and Grimsby Railway|
The West Riding and Grimsby Railway was a joint railway whose main line linked Wakefield with Doncaster, while a branch line ran between Adwick and Stainforth. The companies involved were the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway and the Great Northern Railway. The WR&G gave the Great Northern Railway a new direct line to Wakefield from Doncaster on its north-south main line, and onwards to the Woollen District towns and the cities of Leeds, Bradford and Halifax over the tracks of the former West Yorkshire Railway, which it acquired in 1865; while the M.S.& L.R. could offer connections to Grimsby, and its docks, and the seaside resort of Cleethorpes.
The main line ran from Wakefield, the county town of the West Riding of Yorkshire, to Marshgate Junction, just north of Doncaster and the branch from Adwick Junction near Adwick-le-Street and Carcroft to Stainforth Junction, just to the west of the present day Hadfield and Stainforth. There were also three further lines: a triangular junction was created at Adwick, opened in November 1866, which made it possible, should it be required, to run from Doncaster to Grimsby by this route; secondly a line from Hare Park Junction, near Wakefield, to the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway near to Wakefield Kirkgate, and lastly a connection to the Midland Railway at Oakenshaw Junction, south of Wakefield. A short curve was also laid in from Applehurst Junction to join the North Eastern Railway main line towards Selby at Joan Croft Junction to allow through running to & from the north.
The main line was opened in February 1866 with intermediate stations at Sandal, Hare Park, Nostell, Hemsworth, South Elmsall and Adwick-le-Street and Carcroft. Since that time halts were opened at Hampole and Bentley Crossing. One station was built on the "branch" line at Bramwith.
New stations at Adwick, Bentley, Sandal and Agbrigg (30 November 1987) and Fitzwilliam (1 March 1982) have been opened as population shift has made these viable. South Elmsall is the only original station but this has been extended and the Doncaster-bound (Up) platform rebuilt. The Adwick to Hatfield & Stainforth line closed to passenger traffic in 1979, but is still used by freight services as a means to avoid the busy area around Doncaster.
- West Riding and Grimsby Railway Act, 1862 (25 & 26 Vic., Cap.211) ; An Act to authorize the Construction of a Railway from the Bradford, Wakefield, and Leeds Railway at Wakefield to the South Yorkshire Railway at Barnby-upon-Don, and of certain Branch Railways, to be called "The West Riding and Grimsby Railway".
- "West Riding, Hull and Grimsby Railway. (Incorporation of Company for making railways from Wakefield to South Yorkshire Railway at Barnby-upon-Don, with branches; ...", London Gazette (22569), 26 November 1861: 4927–4298
- West Riding and Grimsby Railway Act, 1864 (27 & 28 Vic., Cap 91) ; An Act to enable the West Riding and Grimsby Railway Company to make a Station at Wakefield, and for other Purposes with relation to that Company.
- West Riding and Grimsby Railway Act, 1865 (28 & 28 Vic., Cap.259) ; An Act to enable the West Riding and Grimsby Railway Company to raise further Sums of Money; to extend the Time limited in respect of One of their authorized Branches ; and for other Purposes.
- West Riding and Grimsby Railway (Extension) Act, 1865 (28 & 29 Vic. Cap.321) ; An Act to authorize the West Riding and Grimsby Railway Company to construct a Railway from the South Yorkshire Railway to Lincoln; and for other purposes
- West Riding and Grimsby Railway (Abandonment) Act 1868 (31 & 32 Vic. 1868, Cap.55) ; An Act to repeal "The West Riding and Grimsby Railway (Extension) Act, 1865."
- The West Riding and Grimsby Railway (Transfer) Act, 1866 (29 & 30 Vic., Cap.162) ; An Act to transfer the West Riding and Grimsby Railway to the Great Northern and Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Companies jointly; and for other Purposes with respect to the said Undertaking and Companies