West Springfield High School (Massachusetts)
|West Springfield High School|
|425 Piper Rd West Springfield, MA
|Coordinates||42° 7′ 14.9″ N, 72° 38′ 22.4″ W|
|Motto||We Bleed Blue and White|
|Opened||1956 (New School, 2014)|
|School district||West Springfield Public Schools|
|Faculty||95 plus 50 support staff|
|Enrollment||1,199 as of September, 2013|
|Newspaper||The Terrier Times|
West Springfield High School, in Massachusetts, USA, is the city of West Springfield's high school. It is located near West Springfield Middle School and John R. Fausey Elementary, one of the city's five elementary schools. The school's mascot is the terrier.
The school was originally built at the location where Cowing School is today, in 1915.Ground was broken to build the school on Piper Road in 1954. The school was opened in 1956 for grades 9-12. In 1966, the school became overcrowded and an addition to the school had to be built.
The motto of the school's sports teams is We Bleed Blue and White, referring to the school's colors.
The school has a physical education facility, with one gymnasium, including three full-size basketball courts, volleyball courts, and an indoor walking track.It also has Clark Field, where football, soccer, lacrosse, and field hockey are played, tennis courts, and an Olympic-sized pool. It offers 27 different MIAA-sanctioned sports, including:
- Soccer - boys and girls (Varsity, JV, Freshman) (Boys 2013 Massachusetts Division I State Champions)
- Cross country -boys and girls (Varsity, JV)
- Football (Varsity, JV, Freshman)
- Field hockey (Varsity, JV)
- Girls' volleyball (Varsity, JV)
- Golf (Varsity) (League Champions 2013, 14-6 total record, 10-0 league record)
- Cheerleading (Varsity, JV)
- Wrestling (Varsity, JV)
- Ice hockey (Varsity, JV)
- Indoor track - boys and girls (Varsity)
- Basketball - boys and girls (Varsity, JV, Freshman)
- Cheerleading (Varsity, JV)
- Swimming - boys and girls (Varsity)
- Boys' volleyball (Varsity)
- Baseball (Varsity, JV, Freshman)
- Lacrosse - boys and girls (Varsity, JV)
- Outdoor track - boys and girls (Varsity)
- Softball (Varsity, JV, Freshman)
- Tennis - boys and girls (Varsity)
New high school
The renovation of the school's athletic field "Clark Field" was completed for the beginning of the fall 2012 sport season. The field features an artificial turf for football, soccer, field hockey, and lacrosse games, new red track, permanent bleachers, a concession stand, and tennis courts. The official opening and ribbon cutting took place on November 17, 2012.
The new building was completed in February 2014. After February break, the students and staff moved into the new facility. The building includes a new Olympic sized pool, large gymnasium, indoor walking track, new library, cafeteria, and auditorium. The building is located next door to the old building which is now being demolished to make room for a new parking lot and practice soccer fields.