West Town, Peterborough
The War Memorial Hospital, which opened here in 1928, was transferred to the National Health Service in 1948, coming under No. 12 Group (Peterborough and Stamford) Hospitals Management Committee of the East Anglian Regional Hospitals Board. Also transferred were Thorpe Hall (maternity 1943–1970), The Gables (maternity 1947–1970), the Smallpox Hospital (1884–1970), Isolation Hospital (1901–1981), and St. John's Close (mentally ill c.1930–1971). The neo-Georgian Memorial Hospital (now the Memorial Wing) was enlarged by the massive addition of Peterborough District Hospital, built in continuous phases between 1960 and 1968. The stone porch has a plain frieze and moulded cornice supported on paired doric columns; an inscription above the doors to the entrance lobby reads IN REMEMBRANCE 1914–1918.
A £300 million health investment plan will see the transfer of the city's two hospitals to a single site adjacent to the existing Edith Cavell Hospital in 2010. An integrated City Care Centre was built at the former Fenland Wing of the District Hospital and opened in 2009, with the remainder of the site—to be known as the Hospital Quarter—proposed for redevelopment.
The Dairy Crest depot, formerly the co-operative Anglia Dairies, is also based in the area. West Town County Primary opened in 1909, originally an Infant then Junior Mixed and Infant school; secondary pupils attend nearby Jack Hunt School in Netherton.
- Beatty, Gwendoline Peterborough and District War Memorial Hospital 1928–1968 in Peterborough's Past vol.3 (pp.45-56) Peterborough Museum Society, 1988.
- Peterborough and District War Memorial Hospital PastScape, English Heritage (retrieved 15 January 2013).
- Greater Peterborough Health Investment Plan Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Peterborough Primary Care Trust and Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Mental Health Partnership Trust (retrieved 23 April 2007).
- New healthcare buildings now have names Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, 12 June 2008
- Help shape the Hospital Quarter Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, 13 March 2009.
|This Cambridgeshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|