||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (March 2012)|
|Founded||Rockville, Maryland (1963)|
Vice Chairman of the Board
James E. Smith
Thomas W. McKenna
Executive Vice President
Renee F. Slobasky
Senior Vice President
|Revenue||At least $3.17 billion USD (FY2009)|
In addition to the company’s capabilities as a statistical survey research organization, Westat does custom research and program evaluation studies across a broad range of subject areas. Westat also has the technical expertise in survey and analytical methods, computer systems technology, biomedical science, health information technology, and clinical trials.
Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 are located at its headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Depending on the number of active projects at any time, up to several thousand data collection and processing staff work at Westat's survey processing facilities, at the Telephone Research Center facilities, and at data collection sites throughout the nation. Westat also maintains research offices near its clients in Atlanta, Georgia; Cambridge, Massachusetts; Durham, North Carolina; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and Houston, Texas. The company has international offices in Beijing, China; Liberia, Costa Rica; Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; New Delhi, India; Johannesburg, South Africa; and Bangkok, Thailand.
Westat has conducted studies on a diverse range of topics:
- Health conditions and expenditures;
- Academic achievement and literacy;
- Medical treatments and outcomes;
- Exposure assessments;
- Program evaluation;
- Information management and communications solutions; and
- Respondent knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors.
Westat Statistical Software
Westat supports two software packages for statistics professionals: WesVar and Blaise.
- WesVar is a software package for variance estimation with complex survey data.
- Westat is the distributor in the United States and Canada for the Blaise family of software, a survey processing system.
Ownership by employees provides a stable organizational framework for long-term growth and development. All employees can earn a share of ownership through the Westat Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). Since the introduction of the plan in 1977, the value of employee holdings has grown with the company’s success as a research organization and with the growth of the staff. Stock earned through the ESOP supplements other fringe benefits, which include a 401(k) plan, health and life insurance, and vacation, holiday, and sick time. Advanced degrees and professional development activities are supported by reimbursement for approved college courses and for attendance at professional meetings.
Westat’s main campus is located in Rockville, Maryland, with additional staff offices near its clients in Atlanta, Georgia; Cambridge, Massachusetts; Durham, North Carolina; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and Houston, Texas. The company’s interviewing, field operations, and survey data processing facilities are located throughout the nation:
International offices include Beijing, China; Liberia, Costa Rica; Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; New Delhi, India; Johannesburg, South Africa; and Bangkok, Thailand.
- Survey Field Staff - NHANES Retrieved 2010-08-11.
- Study: Diabetes self-management portal yields promising results Retrieved 2011-03-16.
- Mary Ann Zehr, December 10, 2009. What Kinds of Schools Are Most Likely to Teach Foreign Languages? Education Week. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- Jay Mathews, July 19, 2010. Better data needed to accurately rate school systems. Washington Post. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- Center Watch Clinical Trials Provider Profile Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- September 1, 2009. Innovative therapies for treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder. Science Codex. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- November 4, 2010. Lung cancer trial results show mortality benefit with low-dose CT. National Cancer Institute. Retrieved 2010-11-05.
- NICHD Announces Contracts to First Research Centers for Planned National Children's Study NICHD Website. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- Ryan Grim, September 7, 2006.A White House Drug Deal Gone Bad Slate. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- Ryan Grim, September 7, 2006.Evaluation of the Office on National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) National Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign - Reports NIDA Website. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- Head Start Impact Study. Final Report. Retrieved 2010-08-11.
- Westat, Inc. Wins $1.09 Million Federal Contract. Bloomberg Business Week. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- Wham! Pow! The CDC Goes to Comic-Con. The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2010-10-10.
- William H. McMichael, July 8, 2010. Pentagon sends out survey on gay troops. Army Times. Retrieved 2010-08-03
- Westat USA is the distributor of the Blaise system for North, Central and South America. Blaise Contact Information. Retrieved 2010-08-03
- US News Best Places. Retrieved 2010-08-03.