|Bird Road, just west of the Palmetto Expressway|
|Miami-Dade County and the state of Florida|
|• Total||4 sq mi (10.4 km2)|
|• Land||4 sq mi (10.4 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||3 ft (1 m)|
|• Density||7,567.8/sq mi (2,910.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0293131|
Westchester is also the name of the unincorporated community that encompasses both the Westchester CDP and the University Park CDP. The approximate limits of the community of Westchester are considered to be from SW 8thStreet (Tamiami Trail) south to SW 40th Street (Bird Road) and SW 117th Avenue (bordering the Homestead Extension of Florida's Turnpike) east to the Palmetto Expressway.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 4.0 square miles (10 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 30,271 people, 9,764 households, and 7,947 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 7,539.9 people per square mile (2,914.6/km2). There were 9,938 housing units at an average density of 2,475.4/sq mi (956.9/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 93.78% White (13.7% were Non-Hispanic White,) 0.61% African American, 0.04% Native American, 0.51% Asian, 2.81% from other races, and 2.23% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 85.31% of the population.
There were 9,764 households out of which 28.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.5% were married couples living together, 15.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.6% were non-families. 14.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.07 and the average family size was 3.33.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 18.7% under the age of 18, 7.2% from 18 to 24, 26.7% from 25 to 44, 24.4% from 45 to 64, and 23.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 87.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.4 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $40,762, and the median income for a family was $44,863. Males had a median income of $29,629 versus $24,235 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $17,264. About 8.5% of families and 11.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.0% of those under age 18 and 13.0% of those age 65 or over.
As of 2000, Westchester had the highest percentage of Cuban residents in the US, with 65.69% of the populace (the second highest percentage was Hialeah, which made up 62.12% of its populace.) It had the eighteenth highest percentage of Nicaraguan residents in the US, at 2.25% of the population, and the ninety-third highest percentage of Colombian residents in the US, at 1.77% of its population (tied with South Miami and Princeton, FL.)
Government and infrastructure
The community of Westchester is home to eight public schools administered by Miami-Dade County Public Schools, four Catholic private elementary and secondary schools, one private Roman Catholic college, and one public university.
- Royal Palm Elementary School
- Banyan Elementary School
- Coral Park Elementary School
- Emerson Elementary School
- Olympia Heights Elementary School (in University Park CDP)
- Blue Lakes Elementary School
- Tropical Elementary School
- Rockway Elementary School
- St. Brendan Elementary School (Catholic private school)
- St. Agatha Catholic School (Catholic private school)
- Rockway Middle School
- Riviera Middle School
- Everglades K-8 Center
- St. Agatha Catholic School (Catholic private school; in University Park CDP)
- King's Christian
- Florida Christian School
- Gladeview Christian
- Christopher Columbus High School (Catholic private school)
- Miami Coral Park High School
- St. Brendan High School (Catholic private school)
- Southwest Miami Senior High School
- Florida Christian School
Universities and Colleges
- Florida International University (University Park)
- St. John Vianney College Seminary (Catholic private college)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Westchester, FL Community Profile
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790-2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- "Demographics of Westchester, FL". MuniNetGuide.com. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "MLA Data Center Results of Westchester, FL". Modern Language Association. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Ancestry Map of Cuban Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Ancestry Map of Nicaraguan Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Ancestry Map of Colombian Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Stations & Units." Miami-Dade Fire Rescue. Retrieved on September 16, 2012.
- Coral Park Elementary School - Miami, Florida
- Welcome to Emerson Elementary Miami, Florida
- Rockway Elem/default
- St. Agatha Catholic School
- Welcome to Everglades K-8 Center an A+ School