Westchester branch (CTA)
|Locale||Forest Park, Illinois
Mannheim & 22nd
|Opening||October 1, 1926|
|Closed||December 9, 1951|
|Operator(s)||Chicago Transit Authority (1947-1951)
Chicago Rapid Transit Company (1926-1947)
|Line length||5.6 mi (9.0 km)|
|Track gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm)|
|Electrification||Third rail, 600 V DC|
The Westchester branch was a rapid transit line which was part of the Chicago 'L' system from 1926 to 1951. The branch served the suburbs of Forest Park, Maywood, Bellwood, and Westchester, and consisted of nine stations at its peak. It opened on October 1, 1926 and closed on December 9, 1951.
The Westchester branch was 5.6 mi (9.0 km) long, and originated from the Garfield Park Branch at the Des Plaines in Forest Park, Illinois. Initially the line terminated at Roosevelt Road near Belwood Avenue. On December 1, 1930, service was extended to Mannheim/22nd. Service on the Westchester branch ended on December 9, 1951, and was replaced by the Westchester bus route (now Pace Route 317), which largely mirrored the route of the Westchester branch, though the bus route only extended as far south as Canterbury Street.
|Des Plaines||711 S. Des Plaines Avenue, Forest Park|
|5th||5th Avenue near Quincy Street, Maywood|
|11th||11th Avenue and South Maywood Drive, Maywood|
|17th||17th Avenue and South Maywood Drive, Maywood|
|25th||25th Avenue and Maywood Drive, Maywood|
|Bellwood||Bellwood Avenue near Madison Street, Bellwood|
|Harrison||Harrison Street near Bellwood Avenue, Bellwood|
|Roosevelt||Roosevelt Road near Bellwood Avenue, Westchester|
|Canterbury||Canterbury Street near Westchester Boulevard, Westchester|
|Mannheim/22nd||Mannheim Road and 22nd Street, Westchester|
- Chicago Rapid Transit Company (1934). 'L' Map of Chicago (Map). http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/maps/1934map.jpg. Retrieved 2013-08-18.
- Westchester branch Chicago "L".org. Accessed August 18, 2013
- Chicago Rapid Transit Company (1926). Map of Chicago Rapid Transit Company (Map). http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/maps/1926map.jpg. Retrieved 2013-08-18.
- Chicago Transit Authority (1954). Chicago Transit Map (Map). http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/maps/1954map.jpg. Retrieved 2013-08-18.
- Chicago Rapid Transit Company (1933). Chicago Map Showing Rapid Transit Lines (Map). http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/maps/1933map.jpg. Retrieved 2013-08-18.