Western Association for Art Conservation
|Full name||Western Association for Art Conservation (WAAC)|
The Western Association for Art Conservation (WAAC) is a nonprofit regional membership organization for conservation professionals based in the Western United States, although membership is open to all irrespective of geographical location.
- 1 Aims
- 2 History
- 3 Organisation and Governance
- 4 Publications
- 5 Annual Meeting
- 6 References
- 7 External links
WAAC serves its members, who have a professional responsibility for the preservation of cultural heritage, and disseminates information through its publications and annual meeting/conference. WAAC advances knowledge, practice and standards for the conservation profession.
WAAC's bylaws state that the specific purposes of WAAC are:
- To provide an organization that advances the knowledge of conservation and improves the methods of conservation needed to protect, preserve, and maintain the condition and integrity of objects, structures, or sites that, because of their history, significance, rarity, or quality of work, have a commonly accepted value and importance for the public interest.
- To expand knowledge of all subjects related to the conservation of artistic, historic, and other cultural property.
- To encourage education, study, and research in the conservation of artistic, historic, and other cultural property.
- To promote proficiency and skill in the practice of the conservation of artistic, historic, and other cultural property.
- To maintain and promote professional relationships, standards of practice, and ethics for conservators, and to oppose any influences that would tend to lower such standards and ethics.
- To organize and otherwise participate in exhibitions dealing with the conservation of artistic, historic, and other cultural property.
- To publish, sell, circulate, and distribute books, magazines, publications, literature, films, magnetic tapes, and digital media dealing with the conservation of artistic, historic, and other cultural property.
- To solicit funds and to receive donations and legacies. To execute the expenditure of grant monies.
- To take all action necessary or desirable in order to accomplish any of the purposes of WAAC, provided that such action is in conformity with the provisions of the California Law, Revenue and Taxation Code, Section 23701d, or the Federal Internal Revenue Code, Section 501(c)(3).
WAAC was founded in 1975 to bring together conservators practicing in the western United States to exchange ideas, information and news.
One of the prime forces behind the creation of the Western Association for Art Conservation, or Western Association of Art Conservators as it was initially called, was Benjamin Bishop Johnson, who served as the first President of the organization; and at the time was Chief Conservator at LACMA, as well as a lecturer at UCLA.
Organisation and Governance
Current WAAC Board of Directors (2013 - 2014)
The current WAAC Board.
- President, Katie Holbrow, Head of conservation at SF Asian Art Museum
- Vice-President, Catherine Coueignoux
- Treasurer, Chris Stavroudis
- Secretary, Claire Gerhard
- Member-at-Large, Susanne E. Friend
- Member-at-Large,Elizabeth Homberger
- Member-at-Large, Sue Ann Chui
- Member-at-Large, Yadin Larochette
- Newsletter Editor, Carolyn Tallent
- Membership Secretary, Chris Stavroudis
- Web Editor, Walter Henry
- Fulfillments, Donna Williams, Williams Art Conservation, Inc.
Elected WAAC Board Members
The positions of President, Vice President, and Member-at-Large, are elected annually by the membership. The following table summarizes these positions since the founding of the organization.
|1975||Ben B. Johnson||Richard Buck|
|1976-1977||Jerry Hoephner (left office)||Roger D. Broussal (acting president)|
|1977-1978||Inge-Lisa Eckman||Jon Erickdon|
|1979||Victoria Blyth-Hill||David Bull||Betty L. Engel||James L. Greaves||Teri Oikawa-Picante|
|1979-1980||David Bull||Sarah Fisher||Betty L. Engel||Robert Futernick||James L. Greaves|
|1980-81||Sarah Fisher||James Ross Druzik||Denise Domergue||Leslie M. Kruth||Zora Sweet Pinney|
|1981-1982||James Ross Druzik||Teri Oikawa-Picante||Elisabeth Cornu||Denise Domergue||James L. Greaves|
|1982-1983||Teri Oikawa-Picante||Scott M. Haskins||James Ross Druzik||Leslie M. Kruth||Bruce Miller|
|1983-1984||Scott M. Haskins||John Twilley||Gary Alden||Leslie M. Kruth||Judith Rieniets||Tatyana M. Thompson|
|1984-1985||John Twilley||Robert Futernick||Scott M. Haskins||Carl Patterson||Chris Stavroudis|
|1985-1986||Robert Futernick||Benita Johnson||Debra Evans||John Twilley||Rosamond Westmoreland|
|1986-1987||Benita Johnson||Rosamond Westmoreland||Genevieve A. Baird||Lynn Wicks||Jim Wright|
|1987-1988||Rosamond Westmoreland||Debra Evans||Elisabeth Cornu||Denise Domergue||Mark P. Watters|
|1988-1989||Debra Evans||Mark P. Watters||Joanne Page||Jerry Podany||Karen Zukor|
|1989-1990||Mark P. Watters||Glenn Wharton||Nancy Odegaard||Janice Mae Schopfer||Patricia Leavengood|
|1990-1991||Glenn Wharton||Tatyana M. Thompson||Elisabeth Cornu||Eric Hansen||Chris Stavroudis|
|1991-1992||Tatyana M. Thompson||Patricia Leavengood||Victoria Blyth-Hill||John W. Burke||Zora Sweet Pinney|
|1992-1993||Patricia Leavengood||Lesley Bone||Jane Bassett||Elisabeth Mention||Sharon K. Shore|
|1993-1994||Lesley Bone||Pauline Mohr||Theresa Meyer Andrews||Vinod Daniel||Catherine C. McLean|
|1994-1995||Pauline Mohr||Neil C. Cockerline||Jane Bassett||Walter Henry||Elizabeth C. Welsh|
|1995-1996||Neil C. Cockerline||Elizabeth C. Welsh||John Griswold||Marc W. Harnly||Karen Zukor|
|1996-1997||Elizabeth C. Welsh||John Griswold||Neil C. Cockerline||Cecily M. Grzywacz||Linda Strauss|
|1997-1998||John Griswold||Jill Sterrett||Mitchell Hearns Bishop||Laura Downey||Cecily Grzywacz||Linda A. Strauss|
|1999||Jill Sterrett||Antoinette Dwan||Mitchell Hearns Bishop||Laura Downey||Julie Goldman||J. Claire Dean|
|2000||Antoinette Dwan||Marc Harnly||Julie Goldman||J. Claire Dean||Camilla Van Vooren||Ulrich Birkmaier|
|2001||Marc Harnly||J. Claire Dean||Camilla Van Vooren||Holly Anderson||Susanne E. Friend||Beverly Perkins|
|2002||J. Claire Dean||Mitchell Hearns Bishop||Susanne E. Friend||Beverly Perkins||Jane K. Hutchins||Molly Lambert|
|2003||Mitchell Hearns Bishop||Molly Lambert||J. Claire Dean||Jane K. Hutchins||Dr. Nancy Odegaard||Donna Williams|
|2004||Molly Lambert||Beverly Perkins||Dr. Nancy Odegaard||Donna Williams||Maureen Russell||Chris Stavroudis|
|2005||Beverly Perkins||Laura D. Staneff||Maureen Russell||Chris Stavroudis||Scott Carrlee||Nicholas Dorman|
|2006||Laura Downey Staneff||Camilla Van Vooren||Scott Carrlee||Nicholas Dorman||Leslie Rainer||Chris Stavroudis|
|2007||Camilla Van Vooren||Susanne E. Friend||Leslie Rainer||Chris Stavroudis||Scott Carrlee||Marie Svoboda|
|2008||Susanne E. Friend||Scott Carrlee||Marie Svoboda||Camilla Van Vooren||Marie Laibinis-Craft||Dana K. Senge|
|2009||Scott Carrlee||Marie Laibinis-Craft||Dana K. Senge||Susanne E. Friend||Albrecht Gumlich||Marie Svoboda|
|2010||Marie Laibinis-Craft||Dana K. Senge||Albrecht Gumlich||Marie Svoboda||Ria German-Carter||Beverly N. Perkins|
|2011||Dana K. Senge||Daniel Heath Cull||Ria German-Carter||Beverly N. Perkins||Molly Gleeson||Sean Charette|
|2012||Daniel Heath Cull||Nicholas Dorman||Molly Gleeson||Sean Charette||Christel Pesme||Pamela B. Skiles|
|2013||Nicholas Dorman||Katie Holbrow||Pamela B. Skiles||Sean Charette||Elizabeth Homberger||Susanne E. Friend|
|2014||Katie Holbrow||Catherine Coueignoux||Elizabeth Homberger||Susanne E. Friend||Sue Ann Chui||Yadin Larochette|
A membership directory is published annually and sent to members. The membership directory is alternatively available to members in electronic format; as a pdf. WAAC's Membership Directory is distributed in March of each year.
The WAAC Newsletter (ISSN 1052-0066) has been published since 1979, and is published three times per year, in January, May and September. Each issue has been 28-32 pages long. Each issue contains several feature articles, many of which are widely cited, and the newsletter is a widely referenced resource for heritage professionals.
Regular columns include:
- Letter from the President
- Regional News
- Technical Exchange
- Health & Safety
- Articles You May Have Missed
- Publications and Audiovisual
- Conference Reviews
- Positions Available
A 10-Year Cumulative Index of the WAAC Newsletter (1979-1988, Volumes 1-10) has also been produced. Back issues are also available online.
In response to Hurricane Katrina WAAC published a special issue of the WAAC Newsletter, September 2005 (vol 27, no 3), devoted to issue of salvage and emergency response. The issue included information on health and safety for salvage operations, a reprint with a new introduction of Betty Walsh's "Salvage Operations for Water Damaged Archival Collections" and the "Salvage at a Glance" chart (printed on waterproof synthetic paper), as well as a collection of new information and reprinted materials from a number of sources.
A Guide to Handling Anthropological Museum Collections
This is a humorous guide to the "do's and don'ts" of collections handling, and was written by Nancy Odegaard and illustrated by Grace Katterman. It is soft bound, and runs to 41 pages.
Out of Print Publications
- Loss Compensation Symposium Postprints.
A compilation of the talks comprising the Loss Compensation panel from the 1993 meeting at the Marconi Conference Center, enhanced by a detailed introduction into the history of loss compensation theory written by Patricia Leavengood.
- Loss Compensation Theory and Practice: A Brief History Patricia Leavengood p. 1
- "Necessity Introduced These Arts" Loss Compensation in the History of Conservation Elizabeth Darrow p. 7
- Compensations for Deteriorations Resulting in Losses: A Structuralist Looks at Old and New Practices for the
- Conservation of Ethnographic, Archaeological, and Contemporary Objects Dale Paul Kronkright p. 13
- Review of Loss Compensation Techniques Used in Textile Conservation Sharon K. Shore p. 19
- Loss Compensation in Paper Debra Evans p. 25
- Dilemmas of Compensation in Contemporary Art Tatyana M. Thompson p. 29
- Aesthetic and Cultural Considerations for the Conservation of Hispanic New Mexican Religious Art Keith Bakker p. 33
- East and West: Approaches to Loss Compensation Linda Scheifler Marks p. 41
- The Japanese Use of Gold Lacquer in Ceramic Restoration Genevieve A. Baird p. 45
In 2009 rain water entered the Alaska State Archives building, when a storm ripped the roof from the building, WAAC members who "serendipitously happen to be in Juneau for the Western Association for Art Conservation conference" assist with the rescue efforts. The conference went ahead, and included a public lecture by Yosi Pozeilov about pinhole cameras.
|1977||28 October||Malibu, California||J. Paul Getty Museum|
|1979||11–12 October||Portland, OR|
|1982||San Francisco, California|
|1983||3–5 October||Oakland, California|
|1984||1–3 November||Riverside, California||University of California at Riverside|
|1985||28–30 October||Santa Barbara, California|
|1986||2–5 November||Pacific Grove, California||Asilomar Conference Center|
|1987||2–4 November||Tucson, Arizona||Westward Look Resort|
|1988||5–8 November||Yosemite National Park, California|
|1989||5–7 October||Honolulu, Hawaii|
|1990||15–17 October||Catalina Island, California||Catalina Canyon Hotel|
|1991||September - 1 October||Seattle, Washington||The Edgewatter Hotel|
|1992||27–29 September||Santa Fe, New Mexico||La Posada Hotel|
|1993||Marshall, California||Marconi Conference Center|
|1994||25–27 September||Pacific Grove, California||Asilomar Conference Center|
|1995||9–12 September||Sequoia National Forest, California||Montecito-Sequoia Lodge|
|1996||6–9 October||Las Vegas, Nevada||Jackie Gaughn's Plaza Hotel/Casino|
|1997||26–29 October||Phoenix, Arizona|
|1998||5–7 October||Mt Hood, Oregon||Timberline Lodge|
|1999||15–16 November||San Francisco, California||San Francisco Museum of Modern Art|
|2000||13–15 November||Nevada City||Miner’s Foundry|
|2001||11–13 October||Los Angeles, California||J Paul Getty Museum|
|2002||6–9 October||Portland, Oregon||Portland Art Museum|
|2003||9–11 October||Honolulu, Hawai’i||Honolulu Academy of Arts|
|2004||2–4 October||Santa Fe, New Mexico||Museum of International Folk Art, Museum of Fine Arts|
|2005||27–29 August||Cody, Wyoming||Buffalo Bill Historical Center|
|2006||21–22 October||Tucson, Arizona||Center for Creative Photography|
|2007||14–17 September||Denver, Colorado||Colorado History Museum, Denver Art Museum|
|2008||24–26 October||Malibu, California||The Getty Villa|
|2009||19–21 August||Juneau, Alaska||Juneau Arts and Culture Center|
|2010||16–18 September||Portland, OR||University of Oregon White Stag Block, AIA Portland Chapter/Center for Architecture|
|2011||19–22 October||Austin. Texas||Thompson Conference Center UT Austin|
|2012||22–25 October||Palm Springs, California||Palm Springs Art Museum|
|2013||17–20 September||Seattle, Washington||Seattle Art Museum|
- "WAAC Bylaws. Revised 6/29/87, 10/8/96 and 11/15/99". Cool.conservation-us.org. 2008-12-02. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- Greaves, James L. (January 1991). "A Remembrance: Benjamin Bishop Johnson". WAAC Newsletter. 13, Number 1. Cool.conservation-us.org. p. 10.
- "WAAC Board 2009-10". Cool.conservation-us.org. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "Index of /waac/historical/board-members". Cool.conservation-us.org. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "RUG Links. Find e-Journal. Search: ISSN 1052-0066". Sfx.ub.rug.nl:9003. 2004-05-30. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- "Traditional Fine Arts Organization, Inc. Online Resources for Collectors". Tfaoi.com. 2011.
- "WAAC Newsletter". Cool.conservation-us.org. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "WAAC Newsletter, Special Issue: Salvage and Emergency response" (PDF). 27, no 3. Cool.conservation-us.org. September 2005.
- Walsh, Betty. "Salvage at a Glance chart. © Province of British Columbia 1997. Published as an insert to the WAAC Newsletter, Vol. 19, No. 2 (May 1997)" (PDF). Cool.conservation-us.org.
- "A guide to handling anthropological museum collections: Nancy Odegaard: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- Leavengood, Patricia. Loss Compensation Symposium Postprints: Western Association for Art Conservation Annual Meeting, 1993. Western Association for Art Conservation. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "WAAC Newsletter" (PDF). 30 Number 1. Cool.conservation-us.org. January 2008.
- "Bcin Document Display". Bcin.ca. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- Cull, D. (2010). Review of Western Association for Art Conservation (WAAC) Annual Meeting. E-conservation magazine, No. 16. p. 13-16.
- "Index of /waac/historical/pastmeetings". Cool.conservation-us.org. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- Hsieh, Jeremy (August 18, 2009). "Rain soaks state archives: Hundreds of boxes of historical documents affected by roof mishap". Juneauempire.com.
- "Yosi Pozeilov to give pinhole photography presentation". Juneauempire.com. August 16, 2009.