Western Australia Roller Derby
|Teams||Wards of the Skate (Travel A),
WayWARDs (Travel B),
Electric Screams (Home),
Sonic Doom (Home),
Team Zebra (referees)
Kingsway Regional Sports Centre
Western Australia Roller Derby (WARD) is a roller derby league based in Western Australia. Founded in 2009, the league has a permanent presence in Perth. WARD currently has 2 competitive teams who compete at Kingsway Regional Sports Centre, and a combined team that competes with other Australian and New Zealand leagues. The current President of WARD is Medusa Cascade.
Founded in August 2009, WARD was started by SubZero etal[clarification needed]. In May 2010 WARD held their first friends and family bout with 11 competitors.
WARD's first public appearance was in Adelaide 2010, during the Great Southern Slam competition. Following this the first season saw three bouts between the home teams, Electric Screams and Sonic Doom at the Perth SpeedDome. WARD also coordinated the state’s first interleague bout which was held in Kalgoorlie.
Wards of the Skate, the all stars team was formed in May 2011 to compete against Perth Roller Derby at Quads of War, Perth’s first ever inter-league event. In July 2011, WARD hosted WA's first ever interstate roller derby bout, against Melbourne-based South Sea Roller Derby.
WARD allows admission of any able-bodied individual, regardless of their current skating skill level. "Freshmeat" members are taught basic skating skills (such as stable forwards skating and safe falling) before being assessed for their suitability to move on to more complex skills (such as full-contact Blocking). WARD is a women-only league; however other sexes are welcome to join the Freshmeat training with a view to eventually joining the referee program and becoming part of "Team Zebra".
WARD is currently the home of four bouting teams and a team of referees:
- Wards of the Skate (WotS): formed in 2011, WotS is the inter-league All Stars team. Current Captains are Bruiser von Basher and Damanda Respect.
- WayWARDs: formed in 2012, the WayWARDs are an inter-league or "travel" team. Current Captains are Skatal Attraction and Prescription Mint.
- Sonic Doom: formed 2010, Sonic Doom is one of the intraleague "Home" teams. Current Captain is Bowie 'sinSkates.
- Electric Screams: formed 2010, Electric Screams is one of the intraleague "Home" teams. Current Captain is Bubblin' Squeaks.
- Team Zebra: formed 2010. Current head of reffing is Vector.
- "The Great Southern Slam". Hit & Miss (3). 2010.
- "Shake and rattle roller derby a hit for violent femmes". The West Australian. 8 August 2011. p. 7.
- "Roller Derby delights goldfields crowds". ABC News (Kalgoorlie, Western Australia). 16 February 2011. Retrieved 15 January 2012.
- "Big crowd rolls in for derby showdown". The West Australian. 16 February 2011. Retrieved 15 January 2012.
- "Big crowd cheers on all-star stouch". Midland Kalamnunda Reporter. 19 July 2011. p. 12.
- "Lean, mean rolling machines go into battle". The Sunday Times (Western Australia). 9 July 2011. Retrieved 15 January 2012.
- "WFTDA Accepts 35 Apprentice Leagues", WFTDA, 16 July 2012
- "Roller derby a natural high". The Kalamunda Reporter. 16 February 2011. Retrieved 15 January 2012.
- "Soozie skates way out of suburbia". Mandurah Coastal Times. 7 September 2011. Retrieved 17 January 2012.