Western Avenue (Los Angeles)
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (February 2008)|
Western Avenue is a major four-lane street in the City of Los Angeles (west of Downtown Los Angeles) and through the center portion of Los Angeles County. It is one of the longest north–south streets in Los Angeles city and county, apart from Sepulveda Boulevard. it is about 29 miles long. The name of the street is derived from its history as the westernmost border of Los Angeles in the 19th century, before annexations in the early 20th century expanded the city westward.
Western Avenue passes through a diversity of neighborhoods ranging from the wealthiest to the most economically depressed in Los Angeles County. From the south, near the Pacific Ocean, it passes north through San Pedro, Lomita, Torrance, Gardena, Inglewood, and South Los Angeles.
Around the Pico Boulevard, Olympic Boulevard, and Wilshire Boulevard intersections, Western Avenue passes through Koreatown. Further north, Western Avenue passes through the East Hollywood district. Around the Santa Monica Boulevard, Sunset Boulevard, and Hollywood Boulevard intersection, it passes through the East Hollywood neighborhoods of Little Armenia and Thai Town.
The northern terminus of Western is north of Franklin Avenue in the Los Feliz district, at the base of the Hollywood Hills. The road curves promptly east becoming Los Feliz Boulevard, a major east/west thoroughfare through Los Feliz to the Golden State Freeway and from there into the city of Glendale.
Metro Subway Stations
Western Avenue is served by three rail stations:
- Hollywood Boulevard on the Red Line
- Wilshire Boulevard on the Purple Line
- Exposition Boulevard on the Expo Line.
- Metro Local lines 205 and 207, in addition to Metro Rapid line 757 and Gardena Transit line 2 operate on Western Avenue.
- Metro lines 207 and 757 run between Hollywood Boulevard and Imperial Highway.
- Gardena line 2 between Imperial Highway and Pacific Coast Highway.
- Metro line 205 south of Pacific Coast Highway.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Western Avenue (Los Angeles).|