|NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde|
|Location||Dumbarton Rd, Glasgow, Scotland|
|Affiliated university||University of Glasgow|
|Lists||Hospitals in Scotland|
The Western Infirmary is a teaching hospital situated in the West End of Glasgow, Scotland. There is also a Maggie's centre at the hospital to help cancer patients, as well as the Glasgow Clinical Research Facility.
In the 1870s, when the University of Glasgow moved from the city centre to the West End, distancing itself from the Royal Infirmary, a new teaching hospital was built in 1874 as part of the new university buildings. Initially only having 150 beds, by 1911 this had increased to over six hundred. A new two phase rebuilding programme was authorised in 1964 and the 256–bed Phase 1 block was completed in 1974. After the completion of the nearby Gartnavel General Hospital in 1972, Phase 2 was indefinitely postponed in 1975.
The Western Infirmary opened as a voluntary hospital relying upon donations and bequests from members of the public, but in 1948 with the introduction of the National Health Service the Western came under the management of the Glasgow Western Hospitals Board of Management.
In 2002, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde announced the results of a three year consultation, the Greater Glasgow's Acute Services Review, wherein they outlined a £700 million modernisation plan for Glasgow's hospitals. As part of the plan, services will be transferred to expanded facilities at Gartnavel General Hospital and new Southern General Hospital and in Summer 2015 the Western Infirmary will be shut down and the site redeveloped by the University of Glasgow.
- "NHSGGC Job Description". NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde. 2009. Retrieved 24 June 2010.
- Alistair Tough (23 July 1998). "Records of Western Infirmary, hospital, Glasgow, Scotland". Greater Glasgow NHS Board Archive. Retrieved 2006-11-28.
- "Western Infirmary of Glasgow Advertisement". Post Office Glasgow directory. Retrieved 2006-12-04.
- Alistair Tough (23 July 1998). "Records of Glasgow Western (and Gartnavel) Hospitals Board of Management, administrative body, Glasgow, Scotland". Greater Glasgow NHS Board Archive. Retrieved 2006-12-04.
- "Shake-up of city hospitals approved". BBC News. 29 January 2002. Retrieved 2006-11-28.
- Gordon Thomson (6 March 2008). "Vow to keep antenatal care in the West End". Evening Times. Archived from the original on 10 March 2008. Retrieved 6 March 2008.
- "Glasgow University to expand main Gilmorehill campus". BBC News. 19 February 2013. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- Western Infirmary on the NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde website