The Western Rosella (Platycercus icterotis) less commonly known as the Stanley Rosella, Earl of Derby's parakeet or Yellow-cheeked parakeet, is the smallest species of rosella and is found in the South West of Australia. in Eucalypt forests and timbered areas. These are smallish parrots measuring 25–30 cm (9.8–12 in) in length and weighing from 28 to 80 g (0.99 to 2.8 oz), with an average of 63.3 g (2.23 oz). they are red from the head to the breast with white or beige-ish yellow cheeks and blue and green patterned wings with males being slightly larger and having a more vibrant yellow cheek colouring. Their bills are a grey 'horn' colour like most Australian parrots.
Habitat, Breeding and Diet
Western Rosellas socialise in pairs but will often congregate in largish groups of twenty or so to forage when the season permits; their diet is herbivorous, consisting mostly of grass and seeds. They nest mostly in hollow tree trunks usually a meter or so deep and will favour hollows that have dust in the bottom (as may be created by insects boring out the tree or limb). The female incubates the eggs and leaves in the morning and afternoon to eat food found by the male.
Western Rosellas make reasonable pets however they have a habit of being aggressive if kept with other pets. They are largely sociable with humans and will whistle in return if whistled at.
Various views and plumages
- BirdLife International (2013). "Platycercus icterotis". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Platycercus / Barnardius - Rosellas". Avian Web. 2006. Retrieved 2007-02-08.
- CRC Handbook of Avian Body Masses by John B. Dunning Jr. (Editor). CRC Press (1992), ISBN 978-0-8493-4258-5.
-  (2011).
- "Platycercus icterotis (Kuhl 1820) - Western Rosella". Lexicon of parrots. Retrieved 2007-02-08.
- "Western Rosella". Birds in backyards. 29 August 2006. Retrieved 2007-02-08.
- "Western Rosella?". Bird board. 2005-09-11. Retrieved 2007-02-08.
- Lendon AH (1980). Australian Parrots in Field and Aviary. Angus & Robertson. ISBN 0-207-12424-8.
- Simpson, Ken and Day, Nicolas (1996). Field Guide to the Birds of Australia. Viking. ISBN 0-670-86305-X.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Western Rosella.|