Western Shugden Society
|Predecessor||Shugden Supporters Community|
|Headquarters||Studio 177, 56 Tavistock Place, London, WC1H 9RG UK|
|Parent organization||New Kadampa Tradition|
|Affiliations||International Shugden Community|
Aims of the WSS
According to their website , the aims of the WSS are
- To free practitioners who rely upon the enlightened deity Dorje Shugden and their families from suffering;
- To restore peace and harmony between Shugden and non-Shugden practitioners;
- To re-establish the common spiritual activities of Shugden and non-Shugden practitioners in Tibetan monasteries;
- To free Buddhism from pollution by politics
Robert Barnett of Columbia University is critical of the WSS:
I also made it clear that the Western Shugden group's allegations are problematic: they are akin to attacking the Pope because some lay Catholics somewhere abuse non-believers or heretics. The Western Shugden Group is severely lacking in credibility, since its form of spirit-worship is heterodox, provocative and highly sectarian in Buddhist terms and so more than likely to be banned from mainstream monasteries – while its claimed concerns about cases of discrimination in India should be addressed by working within the Tibetan community instead of opportunistically attacking the Dalai Lama in order to provoke misinformed publicity for their sect.
- official website of the WSS http://www.westernshugdensociety.org/, official website of the WSS. Retrieved 14 August 2014. Missing or empty
|title=(help) WSS's website http://www.westernshugdensociety.org/
- Tibet scholar denies making Time magazine Shugden comment, Tibetan Review, 2008-07-23.