Westfield Public Schools
|Westfield Public Schools|
|Superintendent:||Dr. Margaret Dolan|
|Business Administrator:||Dana Sullivan|
|Address:||302 Elm Street
Westfield, NJ 07090
|Enrollment:||6,426 (as of 2010-11)|
|Faculty (in FTEs):||448.9|
|District Factor Group:||I|
| %± vs.
|10||Operations & Maintenance||1,123||6||1,787||-37.2%|
|16||Median Teacher Salary||71,698||87||62,707|
|Data from NJDoE 2013 Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending.
*Of K-12 districts with more than 3,500 students. Lowest spending=1; Highest=106
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "I", the second highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Awards and recognition
Theodore Roosevelt Intermediate School was awarded the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education, the highest award an American school can receive, during the 2004-05 school year.
The district has a central kindergarten, along with six grade 1 - 5 elementary schools and two grade 6 - 8 middle schools divided by a "North Side / South Side" boundary, as well as a single high school. The schools in the district (with 2010-11 enrollment data from the National Center for Education Statistics) are as follows:
- Lincoln School (242 students)
- Elementary schools (Grades 1-5)
- Franklin Elementary School (642; North)
- Jefferson Elementary School (469; South)
- McKinley Elementary School (367; South)
- Tamaques Elementary School (437; South)
- Washington Elementary School (334; North)
- Wilson Elementary School (424; North)
- Middle schools (Grades 6-8)
- Theodore Roosevelt Intermediate School (740; North)
- Thomas Alva Edison Intermediate School (769; South)
- High school (9-12)
- Westfield High School (1,839)
Public school students are also eligible to apply to attend the Union County Vocational Technical Schools, which include Union County Magnet High School, Union County Academy for Information Technology, Union County Academy for Allied Health Sciences, Union County Vocational Technical High School and Union County Academy for Performing Arts.
Westfield High School publishes a weekly student newspaper during the school year called Hi's Eye. Established in 1935, the paper publishes 33 issues per year with a monthly Arts and Entertainment insert called Iris. The Hi's Eye is unique among many student run newspapers in that it is weekly and completely self-funded. The motto for the Hi's Eye is "For the students, by the students, since 1935."
The middle schools and elementary schools also publish a brief newspaper written by their students, for their students. Theodore Roosevelt Intermediate School publishes an issue of The Rough Rider 12 times a year. Thomas Alva Edison Intermediate School publishes The Edison Insider a few times a year. Woodrow Wilson Elementary School publishes an issue of The Wilson World twice a year.
- Dr. Margaret Dolan, Superintendent
- Dana Sullivan, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- Paul Pineiro, Assistant Superintendent, Curriculum, Instruction and Program
- Michael Weissman, Assistant Superintendent, Pupil Personnel Services
- Barbara Ball, Human Resources Specialist
- District detail information for the Westfield School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed May 24, 2013.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 27, 2009.
- Blue Ribbon Schools Program: Schools Recognized 2003 through 2005 (PDF), United States Department of Education. Accessed April 6, 2011.
- Star School Award recipient detail, New Jersey Department of Education, Archived December 18, 2006. Accessed November 26, 2009.
- Data for the Westfield Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed May 24, 2013.
- School List, Westfield Public Schools. Accessed May 24, 2013.
- New Jersey School Directory for the Westfield Public Schools, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed May 24, 2013.
- Full-Time Opportunities, Union County Vocational Technical Schools. Accessed May 24, 2013. "Applicants are selected from a diverse population of eighth grade students in each of the twenty-one municipalites in Union County."
- Administration, Westfield School District. Accessed May 24, 2013.
- New Jersey School Directory, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed May 24, 2013.
- Westfield Public Schools
- Westfield Public Schools's 2010–11 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Westfield Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics