Westfield South Shore
|Location||Bay Shore, New York, U.S.|
|Address||1701 Sunrise Highway, Bay Shore, NY 11706|
|Opening date||August 30, 1963|
|Developer||R.H. Macy Company|
|No. of stores and services||125+|
|No. of anchor tenants||4|
|Total retail floor area||1,650,000 ft²|
|No. of floors||2|
Westfield South Shore is a super-regional shopping mall in Bay Shore, New York, USA. The mall is owned by the Westfield Group and has 1,165,000 square feet (108,232 m2) of gross leasable area. The mall originally opened as the South Shore Mall on August 30, 1963.
The mall was opened in 1963 by the R.H. Macy Company, which opened the 3-level, 318,800-square-foot (29,620 m2) Macy's as the original anchor. The open-air, 70-store first phase of the mall was completed by 1967, and originally included stores such as Record Town, Woolworth's, Lerner Shops, Bond's, and JCPenney, which was the first in-line JCPenney location in the New York area at the time The mall's Loews Theaters location opened around the same time. There was also a section of the mall divided into an area named "Captree Corners", a bazaar-like setup of small stores clustered into a village-like mini-mall area.
The mall was fully enclosed in 1975. In December 1986, the mall's ownership was sold to the Westfield Corporation for $85 million. Shortly after the change in ownership, plans for an expansion were underway. The renovation/expansion was underway by 1996, which gutted the northern end of the center, which was replaced with 40,000 square feet (3,700 m2) of new retail area, along with a newly built, 3-level (216,300 ft²) Sears, which opened in September 1997. A 2-level (120,000 ft²) Lord & Taylor eventually opened in late 1998, replacing the former Woolworth. In August 2012, the former Macy's store, built in 1962, was demolished to make way for a new Macy's store. The transition took a year and the new store is smaller and only contains two stories, as opposed to the former three story store. The new store opened in August 2013, with a formal grand opening on August 24, 2013.
- JCPenney (opened April 6, 1967)
- Macy's (200,000 ft²; opened August 16, 2013)
- Sears (216,300 ft²; opened September 1997)
- Lord & Taylor (120,000 ft²; opened late 1998)
- Macy's (318,000 ft²; August 30, 1963 - March 4, 2012- demolished in 2012 to make way for a new Macy's)
- "8th Macy's Store in Area Opens In New Shopping Center on L.I". The New York Times. 30 August 1963.
- "Bond's Opens in Bay Shore". The New York Times. 4 October 1963.
- "J.C. Penney Planning Full-Line Store on Long Island". The New York Times. 21 April 1965.
- Aurichio, Andrea (4 November 1979). "SHOP TALK A Mall Within a Mall". The New York Times.
- Park, Paula (29 June 1989). "Mall Expansion Plan".
- "Lord & Taylor Coming to Bay Shore / New tenant for South Shore Mall". Newsday. 17 December 1997. Retrieved 10 July 2011.