Westgate Mennonite Collegiate
|Westgate Mennonite Collegiate|
|Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada|
|Vice principal||Ozzie Rempel|
|Funding type||Private secondary (English language)|
|Campus||86 West Gate|
Westgate Mennonite Collegiate is a grade 7 to 12 Mennonite private school in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The school's mission statement states that, "It is the mission of the school to provide a well-rounded education, which will inspire and empower students to live as people of God." This mission statement was reaffirmed in 2002. Westgate teaches religious studies as well as other academic subjects.
Westgate Mennonite Collegiate, which was originally called the Mennonite Educational Institute, was formed in 1958. The school originally had two teachers, one who taught grade 7 and 8, and the other who taught grade 9 to 11. Classes were held in First Mennonite Church before moving to a vacant church building on Edison Avenue. The school moved to its current location on 86 West Gate in 1964 and then they were able to offer more programs. A gymnasium, multi-purpose room, and office space were built in 1978. This allowed Westgate to continue its choir and add a band program, as well as several extra-curricular activities and electives. The old building was replaced in 1989 with the current one that had labs and more classroom space. Westgate overcame several financial challenges and the school celebrated its 50th anniversary in the 2008-2009 school year. The school conducted a stakeholders survey and began to analyze their future.
In 2008, the school's proposed expansion plans were rejected by the city of Winnipeg. Subsequently, the school developed plans to relocate to a more central location. In 2012 the school applied again for city approval of a smaller (but still substantial) redevelopment at its current location, and in March 2012 the school received approval from the board of adjustment.
Coach Karl Wiebe, a coach at Westgate since 1983, was named coach of the year by the Manitoba High Schools Athletic Association in 2010, after leading the Westgate boys' basketball team to two provincial championships.
- "Westgate Mennonite Collegiate History", July 20, 2012.
- "Winnipeg rejects Christian school's expansion plans", CBC News, July 18, 2008.
- Nick Martin, "Religious schools keep on growing: Immigration boosting enrolments", Winnipeg Free Press, February 16, 2010.
- "WM College Proposing New Expansion Plans", CJOB, January 16, 2012.
- Nick Martin, "School embarks on $7-M upgrade: Involves move during construction", Winnipeg Free Press, January 17, 2012.
- Evelyn Rempel Petkau, "Westgate Mennonite Collegiate pursues redevelopment plans", Canadian Mennonite, February 20, 2012, copy available here at HighBeam Research (subscription required).
- "City recommends approval for Westgate school expansion project despite community opposition", CTV Winnipeg, March 28, 2012.
- Avi Saper, "Face of Westgate athletics honoured for 27 years of coaching", Winnipeg Free Press, July 8, 2010.
- "Coach & Volunteer Awards: Grey Cup Coach of the Year Award", Manitoba High Schools Athletic Association (accessed 2012-06-02).