Westgate Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge
|Westgate Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge|
The Westgate Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge in 2013
|Locale||Saint Marys Bay, Auckland, New Zealand|
|Media related to Westgate Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge at Wikimedia Commons|
The Westgate Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge is a motorway overbridge crossing the Northwestern Motorway near Westgate in Auckland, New Zealand. Construction began in late 2012 and was completed in January 2013.
The 3m wide bridge catering for both pedestrians and cyclists, as well as mobility-impaired users. It was designed and built by Jasmax architects, Aurecon Consulting Engineers and HEB Construction, and cost approximately $6 million, paid for by Auckland Transport and NZTA. The initial bridge works included work in the Manutewhau Walk Reserve on the eastern side of the bridge, including replacing pine trees with native trees.
Initially, the main function is to provide a west-east connection for the local area, though in the long run, it is intended to link into a future extension of the Northwestern Cycleway up to the bridge.
It was initially approved in the mid 2008s, as a response to a 2004 death of an 11 year old boy hit by a van while he was crossing the motorway, and in response to continued illegal crossing over the motorway of several dozen people daily, trying to avoid long detours in reaching the nearby shopping centre west of the motorway from the suburbs to the east. However, from the time to approval until construction start, it took another four years until funding was allocated.
- "Westgate Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge - Information Sheet". New Zealand Transport Agency. July 2011.
- "Severe summer disruption on Auckland motorways, warns Transport Agency". NZTA Press Release via Auckland.Scoop.nz. 4 November 2011. Retrieved 25 January 2012.
- "Press release: NZTA starts work on safer access over motorway at Westgate". New Zealand Transport Agency. 28 February 2012. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "council approval for pedestrians and cyclists at westgate". Massey Matters, Issue 14. December 2010. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Motorway bridge awaits funding". Fairfax NZ News via Stuff.co.nz. 24 September 2008. Retrieved 25 January 2012.
- "Green light for pedestrian bridge over SH16". Press Release: Waitakere City. 8 October 2008. Retrieved 25 January 2012.
|This article about a specific type of bridge is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Auckland Region-related geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|