Westlake High School (California)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2007)|
|Westlake High School|
|100 Lakeview Canyon Rd.
Thousand Oaks, California, United States
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Conejo Valley Unified School District|
|Enrollment||2,390 (2010) |
|Website||Westlake High School|
Westlake High School, often known simply as Westlake or Westlake High is a public high school in Thousand Oaks, California, United States, hosting grades 9–12. It is often mistakenly thought to be in the neighboring city of Westlake Village. It is one of four high schools in the Conejo Valley Unified School District, consistently has significantly above average API and SAT scores, and 96% of graduating seniors go on to attend some type of college or further education. It also offers a unique cadaver-based Advanced Anatomy class for seniors.
Its mascot is the warrior; although previously a Native American Indian warrior, the logo was changed to a simple "W" and spear in order to prevent discrimination. Its school colors are blue, orange, and white. The school was founded in 1979 and is currently headed by principal Ron Lipari.
The first graduating class was the class of 1980. The first principal was Mr. William Albers. All students entering Westlake High School in 1979 signed a charter, which sits in the office today. Middle schools that feed into Westlake include Colina Middle School and Los Cerritos Middle School.
- Native Americans/Alaska Native: 14 (0.4%)
- Asian/Pacific Islander: 334 (9.8%)
- Hispanic (of any race): 522 (15.33%)
- African American: 47 (1.3%)
- White: 2487 (73.3%)
- Unspecified: 1 (.003 %)
- Total students (2010–11): 2405
- Student to teacher ratio: 25.1
Westlake High School is home to several organized competitive academic teams, including:
- Blink 182's music video for "Josie" (1998) was filmed at Westlake High School.
- The 2006 movie Gridiron Gang was filmed at Westlake High School.
- Danny Barrera, professional soccer player
- Aaron Bruno, singer for AWOLNATION
- Sean Nelson, singer for Harvey Danger
- Rudy Carpenter, professional football player
- Jason Cook, actor
- Matt Franco, retired Major League Baseball first baseman
- Mikael Granlund, professional ice hockey player
- Scott Hutchinson, primate discipline researcher
- Cobi Jones, retired professional soccer player; National Soccer Hall of Fame
- Mike Lieberthal, retired Major League Baseball All Star catcher
- Billy Miller, professional football player
- Jesse Money, singer
- Tahj Mowry, actor and former running back for the school
- Mike Nickeas, Major League Baseball catcher
- Mike Seidman, professional football player
- Gary Wellman, retired professional football player
- Charlie Wi, professional golfer 
- Eric Wynalda, retired professional soccer player; National Soccer Hall of Fame
- Christian Yelich, professional baseball player
- California Department of Education – Dataquest
- "Westlake High School School Profile 2013/2014". Retrieved October 1, 2014.
- Urbanski, Dave. The Blaze http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/02/13/are-you-the-one-harassing-my-little-girl-thats-what-a-father-asked-right-before-things-spun-out-of-control/. Retrieved Feb 13, 2014. Missing or empty
- "Family Threatens Lawsuit". CBS Los Angeles. Retrieved Feb 13, 2014.
- Terry Hess (September 14, 1990). [http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/1990/09/09-14- 90tdc/09-14-90dsports-05.asp "USC's balanced attack led by Marinovich"]. The Daily Collegian, Pennsylvania State University. Retrieved March 11, 2008.
- Bob Buttitta (February 18, 2008). "Charlie Wi has another solid showing". Ventura County Star. Retrieved February 28, 2008.