Westlake High School (Georgia)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2007)|
|Westlake High School|
|2400 Union Road S.W.
Atlanta, Georgia, 30331
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Quid Erimus Nunc Facimus|
|School board||Fulton County Schools|
|Enrollment||1948 (July 2010)|
|Color(s)||Blue, Silver, White|
|Feeder schools||Sandtown Middle School, Camp Creek Middle School|
|Website||Westlake High School|
Westlake High School is a high school located in unincorporated Fulton County, Georgia, United States.Westlake is notable for its football program. In 2005, Westlake had six graduates on NFL rosters, more than any high school in the nation.
As a part of the Fulton County School System consolidation plan, Westlake was formed in 1988 by the closing of Westwood High School and Lakeshore High School. The new school used the old Westwood High School facility until 2008 when Westlake moved into a new state of the art school next to the old campus. Its motto is Where Excellence is Deliberate.
Westlake High School's Math/Science Magnet Program prepares students for the academic and career fields of math, science, engineering, and technology through rigorous instruction, relevant experiences and supportive relationships.
The magnet program at Westlake seeks to provide an academically rigorous foundation for math, science, engineering and Media based careers. The students are exposed to special courses that offer real world problems and inquiry-based instruction. The program develops partnerships with universities and businesses so that students have access to relevant instructional and internship experiences in medical science, engineering and media. Students are also encouraged to participate in academic, athletic, and artistic extracurricular activities that support their achievement.
Magnet programs of study
Westlake's magnet program is modeled after college programs in medical science, engineering and computer science. Each course of study has associated extracurricular clubs and teams as well as junior and senior summer research internship opportunities available at both Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University. Additionally, students attend monthly forums with guest speakers from college and industry on topics ranging from college planning to careers.
- National 1st place Biology Award in NAACP ACT-SO competition
- National 2nd place Science Award in National Institutes of Health competition
- Regional Semi-Finalists Engineering Award in Siemens Westinghouse Competition
- Regional 1st place Tri-Math-Alon Award in National Society of Black Engineers competition
Students wishing to participate in the magnet program must live in Fulton county and must meet academic crieria including having taken Algebra I in 8th grade, having a minimum grade of 80/100 in all math and science classes, no failing classes, and having a minimum cumulative average of 80.
- 1999 GHSA Boys Basketball Champions
- 2002 GHSA Boys Basketball Champions
- 2009 GHSA AAAAA Girls Track Champions
- 2010 GHSA Boys Basketball AAAAA Runner Up
- 2010 GHSA Girls Basketball AAAAA Final Four
- 2010 GHSA AAAAA Girls Track Runner Up
- 2011 GHSA AAAAA Boys Tennis Runner Up
- 2011 GHSA AAAAA Girls Track Runner Up
- 2011 UDA Hip-Hop Dance Runner Up
- 2012 UDA Jazz Dance Large Group Champions
- 2012 UDA Hip-Hop Dance Large Group Champions
- 2013 GHSA AAAAAA Girls Track and Field Champions
Construction for a new Westlake facility began in October 2006 and the facility officially opened in August 2008, housing over 2,500 high school students in 99 classrooms. The architectural firm of Gardner, Spencer, Smith, Tench & Jarbeau, P.C. designed the new building while H.J. Russell & Company handled the initial phase of construction. The school had previously been housed in the old Westwood High School building since its opening in 1988.
- Adam "Pacman" Jones
- Keith Adams
- Ian Allen
- Keyaron Fox
- Sean Jones
- Wallace Miles
- Anthony Mitchell
- Kasim Reed
- Cam Newton, quarterback for the Carolina Panthers, 2010 Heisman Trophy winner
- Chance Warmack
- Tide's Warmack a product of a high school that is a pipeline to the pros
- "GHSA Boys Basketball Champions". Retrieved 2007-09-17.
- "Groundbreaking set for new Westlake High". Fulton County Schools. September 22, 2006. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- Auburn Tigers' Cam Newton wins Heisman Trophy despite scandal - ESPN. Sports.espn.go.com (2010-12-13). Retrieved on 2013-08-16.