Westlake High School (Texas)
||This article possibly contains original research. (April 2012)|
|Westlake High school|
|4100 Westbank Drive
Austin, Texas, Travis County, 78746
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Eanes Independent School District|
|Athletics conference||UIL 6A Region 2 District 14 in 2014-2015|
Westlake High School is a public high school west of Austin, Texas in unincorporated territory of Travis County. It is a part of the Eanes Independent School District. Westlake High School is the only high school in the Eanes ISD and serves West Lake Hills, Rollingwood, parts of Southwest Austin, and parts of unincorporated Travis County. The school was established in 1969 and opened in 1970.
In 2011, Westlake was ranked 72 on Newsweek Magazine's list of America's top High Schools. In 2012, Westlake was #160 in the Newsweek poll.  In 2013, Westlake was #93  and in 2014, Westlake was #117. 
Westlake offers several sports for boys and girls. Boy's sports include: Baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, soccer, swimming tennis track and wrestling. Sports offered for girls are: Basketball, cheerleading, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, swimming tennis, track and volleyball.
The Chaparrals have won numerous state championships in several sports, including: Baseball in 1980 and 1984; girl's basketball in 1993, 1995 and 1996; girl's cross country in 1975-1978, 1985 and 1990; football in 1996; boy's golf in 1980, 1996, 1999, 2001, 2009 and 2010; girl's golf in 2010 and 2011; boy's swimming in 2006; girl's swimming in 1980, 1996, 1997, 2007 and 2008; tennis in 1984, 1985, 1992 and 2007; and volleyball in 1991,1993,2002 and 2004.
Westlake technical theatre
The Westlake Technical Theatre program offers WHS students the opportunity to learn about all aspects of behind-the-scenes theatrical production. The Tech Crew records and later broadcasts every home football game over local cable.
The orchestra program currently has three full orchestras competing in UIL each year.
The Westlake High School Chaparral Band has been named the Texas State Honor Band three times (AA, AAA, and AAAA) in its 30-year history. A select group of Chap Band student musicians performed at the bi-annual conference of the internationally recognized World Association for Symphonic Bands (WASBE) in Cincinnati, OH in July 2009. The invitation to perform at WASBE is the first ever extended to a high school band organization.
The Westlake Featherduster is an award winning student newspaper of Westlake High School. The Featherduster was founded in 1969.
- Kyle Adams, Purdue University, Chicago Bears tight end
- Ben Breedlove, 2011, Internet personality
- Ally Breedlove, 2013, New York Times Best Selling Author of When Will the Heaven Begin?
- Drew Brees, 1997, Purdue University, New Orleans Saints Quarterback and Super Bowl XLIV MVP
- Angela Bettis, Actress
- Nick Foles, 2007, University of Arizona, Quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles
- Camila Grey, Lead singer of Uh Huh Her
- Kelly Gruber, 1980, MLB Third Baseman
- Jesse Heiman, 1996 Actor
- Josh Ilika, 1994, Two-time Olympic Swimmer
- Paul London, professional wrestler, former WWE superstar.
- Seth McKinney, 1997, Texas A&M Aggies offensive lineman, Drafted in the 3rd round by the Miami Dolphins
- Chris Mihm, 1997, University of Texas, NBA Center
- Tanner Price, 2010, Wake Forest, Quarterback
- Jessica Robertson, Actress
- Scott Spann, 2006, Olympic Swimmer, holds 5A state record in the 100 yd breast stroke
- Huston Street, 2001, University of Texas, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Pitcher
- Ryan Swope, 2009, Texas A&M Aggies wide receiver, Drafted in the 6th round by the Arizona Cardinals.
- Justin Tucker, 2008, University of Texas kicker, signed by the Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted free agent; with whom he won Super Bowl XLVII.
- Lauren Worsham, 2001, Tony-nominated Actress and winner of the 2014 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Featured Actress in a Musical for her role in A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder.
- "Home." Westlake High School. Retrieved December 31, 2012. "4100 Westbank Drive, Austin, TX 78746"
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: West Lake Hills city, TX." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved December 31, 2012. (Archive)
- "Newsweek: America's Best High Schools". Newsweek (New York). June 19, 2011. Retrieved July 14, 2011
- "America's Best High Schools 2012". Retrieved February 9, 2015
- "2013 America's Best High Schools". Retrieved February 9, 2015
- "Newsweek 2014 America's High Schools". Retrieved February 9, 2015
- "High School Challenge 2014" Retrieved February 9, 2015
- "High School Challenge 2013" Retrieved February 9, 2015
- "High School Challenge 2012" Retrieved February 9, 2015
- "High School Challenge 2011" Retrieved February 9, 2015
- "High School Challenge 2010" Retrieved February 9, 2015
- WHS Athletics — Westlake High School
- "SENATE RESOLUTION NO. 565". Texas Senate. April 23, 1997.
- State Titles — Westlake High School
- "Westlake Technical Theatre". Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "Texas Honor Band Search History".
- "Westlake Band : Directors".
- "Westlake Red Cheerleading wins national championship for second year". KXAN-TV. February 2014.
- "Super Varsity Division I Final Results".
- "Kyle Adams". purduesports.com.
- Cargile, Erin (December 29, 2011). "How Ben lived with his heart condition". KXAN.com (Austin). Retrieved December 28, 2011.
- Best Sellers - The New York Times
- Amazon.com: Ally Breedlove: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle
- When will the heaven begin? Get to know the remarkable story of Ben Breedlove as told by his sister Ally – Glenn Beck
- Stories of life, death and faith: 'To Heaven and Back' - CNN.com
- Remembering Internet sensation Ben Breedlove | On Air Videos | Fox News
- Ally Breedlove and Family | LIFE Outreach International
- "Saints quarterback Drew Brees leads, and wins, by example". The Washington Post. February 3, 2010. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- Hall, Michael (October 1999). "We Love the Westlake Chaps. No, Really.". Texas Monthly.
- "Drew Brees passed his first test as a QB in the Canyon". Rockdale Reporter. February 11, 2010.
- "QB hotbed: Brees, Foles share high school". ESPN. January 2, 2014.
- "Westlake's QB honor roll". Austin American-Statesman. October 7, 2011.
- "Little Athletes, Big Dreams". The Austin Chronicle. June 10, 2005.
- "Scott Spann"[dead link],"USA Swimming", Retrieved July 14, 2011
- "Huston Street". Sports Pundit. Retrieved July 14, 2011.