Westlake High School (Texas)
|Westlake High school|
|4100 Westbank Drive
Austin, Texas, Travis County, 78746
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Eanes Independent School District|
|Assistant principals||Dianne Carter, Jaime Clark, Michel Froneberger, Donna Jackson, Stephen Shands|
Westlake High School is a high school in unincorporated Travis County, Texas, in Greater Austin. It is a part of the Eanes Independent School District. In 2011, it was ranked 72nd on Newsweek Magazine's list of America's top High Schools. In 2012, Children at Risk, a Houston-based nonprofit and advocacy agency ranked Westlake High School as the number four public high school in the greater Austin area.
Westlake High School is the lone high school in the Eanes ISD and serves West Lake Hills, Rollingwood, parts of Southwest Austin, and parts of unincorporated Travis County. The school was established in 1969 and opened in 1970.
74% of Westlake students participate in College Board Advanced Placement (AP) tests. Of those who test, 83% pass.
Westlake technical theatre
The Westlake Technical Theatre program offers WHS students the opportunity to learn about all aspects of behind-the-scenes theatrical production. The Tech Crew records and later broadcasts every home football game over local cable. 
The orchestra program currently has three full orchestras competing in UIL each year. The Symphony Orchestra was recently[when?] runner-up to Plano East Senior High in Breckenridge, Colorado for the Breckenridge Blast Music Festival.
The Westlake High School Chaparral Band has been named the Texas State Honor Band three times (AA, AAA, and AAAA) in its 30-year history. A select group of Chap Band student musicians performed at the bi-annual conference of the internationally-recognized World Association for Symphonic Bands (WASBE) in Cincinnati, OH in July 2009. The invitation to perform at WASBE is the first ever extended to a high school band organization.
The Westlake Featherduster is an award winning student newspaper of Westlake High School. The Featherduster was founded in 1969. The Westlake Featherduster and the journalism program at Westlake High School are widely acknowledged as leaders in scholastic journalism. Many former students of the program have continued into careers in professional journalism, including Andrew Loehman (photography), Corrie MacLaggan (print journalism), and Kevin Dunn (radio).
Westlake offers severel sports for boys and girls. Boy's sports include: Baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, soccer, swimming tennis track and wrestling. Sports offered for girls are: Basketball, cheerleading, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, swimming tennis, track and volleyball.
The Chaparrals have won numerous state championships in several sports, including: Baseball in 1980 and 1984; girl's basketball in 1993, 1995 and 1996; girl's cross country in 1975-1978, 1985 and 1990; football in 1996; boy's golf in 1980, 1996, 1999, 2001, 2009 and 2010; girl's golf in 2010 and 2011; boy's swimming in 2006; girl's swimming in 1980, 1996, 1997, 2007 and 2008; tennis in 1984, 1985, 1992 and 2007; and volleyball in 1991,1993,2002 and 2004.
- Kyle Adams, 2006, Free Agent tight end
- Ben Breedlove, 2011, Internet personality
- Drew Brees, 1997, NFL Quarterback and Super Bowl XLIV MVP
- Angela Bettis, Actress
- Nick Foles, 2007, University of Arizona quarterback, Drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles
- Camila Grey, Lead singer of Uh Huh Her
- Kelly Gruber, MLB Third Baseman
- Jesse Heiman, 1996 Actor
- Josh Ilika, 1994, Two-time Olympic Swimmer
- Paul London, professional wrestler, former WWE superstar.
- Seth McKinney, 1997, NFL offensive lineman
- Chris Mihm, NBA Center
- Jessica Robertson, Actress
- Scott Spann, 2006, Olympic Swimmer, holds 5A state record in the 100 yd breast stroke
- Huston Street, 2001, MLB Pitcher
- Ryan Swope, 2008, WR for the Texas A&M Aggies, Drafted in the 6th round for the Arizona Cardinals.
- Justin Tucker, 2008, University of Texas kicker, signed by the Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted free agent
- Ross Ulbricht, Alleged creator of Silk Road online drug marketplace
- "Home." Westlake High School. Retrieved December 31, 2012. "4100 Westbank Drive, Austin, TX 78746"
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: West Lake Hills city, TX." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved December 31, 2012. (Archive)
- "Newsweek: America's Best High Schools". Newsweek (New York). June 19, 2011. Retrieved July 14, 2011
- Children at Risk 2012. Retrieved July 10, 2012
- U.S. News Westlake High School Retrieved June 10, 2012.
- "Westlake Technical Theatre". Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "Texas Honor Band Search History".
- "Westlake Band : Directors".
- "Andrew Loehman". Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- "Corrie MacLaggan". July 22, 2011.
- "Kevin Dunn". Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- WHS Athletics — Westlake High School
- State Titles — Westlake High School
- Cargile, Erin (December 29, 2011). "How Ben lived with his heart condition". KXAN.com (Austin). Retrieved December 28, 2011.
- "Saints quarterback Drew Brees leads, and wins, by example". The Washington Post. February 3, 2010. Retrieved July 14, 2011
- "Scott Spann"[dead link],"USA Swimming", Retrieved July 14, 2011
- "Huston Street". Sports Pundit. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- ,"Silk Rd arrest shocks Ulbricht's family"