Westlink (Australian TV channel)
|Owned by||Government of Western Australia|
|Picture format||anamorphic 576i (SDTV)|
|Broadcast area||Regional and Remote Western Australia|
|Headquarters||West Perth, Western Australia|
|Formerly called||Westlink Network (1992-2013)|
Westlink, formerly known as Westlink Network, is an Australian free-to-view digital television channel broadcast to regional and remote areas of Western Australia on the Viewer Access Satellite Television service. It broadcasts a range of community-based content, particularly training and educational programs, using an open-narrowcast licence. The channel is received in over 150 remote locations such as telecentres, schools and colleges.
The channel is primarily used for educational and talk-back style programs, including video conferences, corporate training videos, and health and educational focused training segments. Many of the programs are viewed in group situations, such as telecentres and TAFE colleges. Some bodies that utilise Westlink are;
- Department of Health
- Rural Health Education Foundation
- Telethon Institute
- Office of Shared Services
- Diocesan Pastoral Formation Centre
On 13 November 2009, community broadcaster Indigenous Community Television entered into an agreement with Westlink to allow them access to the then-Optus Aurora channel on weekends. The agreement ceased on 18 April 2013, when ICTV officially launched their own dedicated channel on the VAST service.
Westlink is available on the Viewer Access Satellite Television service on virtual channel 602, and can be accessed by all viewers nationally. The channel was previously available on the Optus Aurora satellite service, but was migrated to VAST in April 2013. Analogue terrestrial transmissions were also broadcast in Albany and Bunbury.
Approximately 25% of all free-to-view satellite users in Western Australia watched Westlink. The Goldfields-Esperance region has the most viewers, with approximately 6.1% out of a total 11.8% satellite households report viewing the service.
Westlink often plays a loop of still scenic photographs and information slides in between scheduled programs throughout the day due to the large gaps between programming.
- Indigenous Community Television
- Community television in Australia
- Access 31
- Government of Western Australia
- "The Duration of the Analogue/Digital Television Simulcast Period" (PDF). Department of Industry and Resources. November 2005. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "ICTV - Westlink Service". Retrieved 2010-01-03.
- "Optus Help & Support: Q: Can I receive Satellite TV - Aurora in my area?". Optus. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Aurora satellite service will cease from 25 June 2013". Digital Ready. April 2013. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Telecommunications Needs Assessment, Chapeter 6 (Radio and Television)" (PDF). Department of Industry and Resources. Retrieved 2007-09-17.