Westminster International University in Tashkent
Westminster International University in Tashkent (WIUT) is Uzbekistan's first international university. The university is the first in Central Asia to offer a Western education, with UK qualifications. WIUT was established in 2002 in conjunction with the "UMID" Presidential Foundation, the Ministry of Higher and Secondary Specialised Education and the University of Westminster in the United Kingdom. Since its establishment WIUT is widely recognized as one of the best and most prestigious educational institutions in Uzbekistan.
The objective of establishing WIUT was to provide an international standard of Higher Education in Uzbekistan to enable citizens of Uzbekistan and other countries to obtain an internationally recognised Bachelor education in Business Administration, Business Computing, Economics and Commercial Law, all validated by the University of Westminster. From 2005 WIUT has offered the first Internationally accredited Masters of Arts in International Business and Management as well as a professional qualification for teachers, the Post Graduate Certificate in Special Studies - Teaching and Learning. (Adopted from WIUT official site)
WIUT offers an international teaching team with a dynamic student centered teaching and learning philosophy. All teaching and assessment takes place in English. The first intake of students began their studies in October 2002 and the new university premises were inaugurated in spring 2003. WIUT has now an alumni 400 graduates and has established itself as the premier International University in Central Asia. of The university has been developed and is managed on UK/International principles and practices.
WIUT's graduates continue their career/education in top companies and universitiet.
Current courses taught
The university offers following courses:
Masters of Arts in International Business and Management - Full-time and Part-time
Globalisation affects all businesses and or ganisations and requires the development of easy communication and efficient international transportation. Globalisation affects international relocation of production and service provision and has produced a significant increase in economic migration. The WIUT Masters programme explores and enables you to develop an understanding of the global environment, to focus on the key business issues and functions required to work in an international environment and develop skills required of an international manager. This requires WIUT to deliver the programme to the highest international standards and to ensure the highest quality delivery.
It is delivered in English and if you are not a native English speaker or have an international Bachelors degree, taught and assessed in English then you have to demonstrate a high level English language proficiency (IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL 100 (IBT) or TOEFL 250 (CBT) at least).
Postgraduate Certificate of Special Study in Teaching and Learning
Introduction to the course
This course, the Postgraduate Certificate of Special Study in Teaching and Learning is intended for practising teachers who want to improve their professional skills. It is made up of a single level 7, 20 credit core module: ‘Theory and Practice of Teaching and Learning’. The Certificate is a University of Westminster (UPgCert.jpgK) award which has been validated for delivery in Westminster International University in Tashkent.
Participants will be staff of WIUT, or those from partner institutions engaged in higher, further or secondary education. WIUT staff members and those from other Higher and Further Education institutions will normally be full- or part-time lecturers. Participants from Secondary schools will normally be teachers working with students aged 14 and above who have already received some initial or in-service teacher training
2. First degree or equivalent
3. Normally, a minimum of 30 hours teaching or supporting learning throughout the duration of the course
4. An IELTS score of 6.5 or the equivalent TOEFL score (600 paper-based, 250 computer-based, 100 internet-based) would normally be required
5. All applicants will be interviewed to determine their professional capability the extent to which they could benefit from the course
* Certificate of Foundation Studies (CFS)
- The Certificate in Foundation Studies (CFS) is a one-year course. The aim of the course is to prepare students for successful study at honours degree level. As a University of Westminster award it is recognised as an entry qualification for degree courses in many universities around the world.
- Students who successfully complete the CFS will automatically qualify for progression onto one of Westminster International University in Tashkent degree-level programmes. They will also qualify for entry to related courses at the University of Westminster in London.
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Business Administration (BA Business Administration)
- The BA (Hons) in Business Administration is a three-year full time course recognised around the world. It is based upon the BA (Honours) Business course delivered in the UK by the Harrow Business School of the University of Westminster, but has been adapted to suit the local context. The BA (Hons) Business Administration aims to give students an education in the key areas of business, providing an understanding of underpinning theories, tools and techniques.
* Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Economics (BSc Economics)
- The BSc (Hons) Economics is a three-year full time course. It is based upon the BSc (Hons) Business Economics course delivered in the UK by the Westminster Business School of the University of Westminster, adapted to suit the local context. The BSc (Hons) in Economics is not intended as a purely theoretical study of Economics. The underlying philosophy of the course and its presentation emphasise the application of the relevant theory underpinning the Economics and Business fields.
* Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Business Information Systems (BSc Business Information Systems)
- The BSc (Hons) Business Information Systems is a three-year full time course. It is based upon the BSc (Hons) Business Computing course delivered in the UK jointly by the Harrow Business School and the Harrow School of Computer Science of the University of Westminster. The BSc (Hons) Business Information Systems aims to develop students with skills in the areas of systems analysis and database development as well as finance and marketing with an awareness of a wide range of managerial and organisational issues. The underlying philosophy of the course is to emphasise the close relationship between information technology and business with the application of the relevant theory underpinning IT enabled business practices.
* Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Commercial Law (BA Commercial Law)
- The BA (Hons)Commercial Law is a three-year full time course. The BA Commercial Law, programme consists of subject areas found on an English law degree such as that taught at the University of Westminster in London. However, at WIUT the focus in many modules is primarily Uzbek law with some English (or other legal jurisdiction) content to enable a comparison between two different legal systems. The course balances the need to provide a basic understanding of Uzbek law, with a commercial and international focus, within a broadly liberal legal curriculum. The course has been designed by the Law School of the University of Westminster; it is currently undergoing further refinements and will be focused on International and Business Law.
The courses are validated by the University of Westminster (UK), which awards the qualification. The Certificate in Foundation Studies is accepted as an entry qualification for UK degrees. Successful completion will enable the student to progress to a UK degree course. The Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science are standard UK three year programmes.
For entry to the CFS a candidate must:
- Be 17 yrs old during the academic year of enrolment (the academic year runs from 1 October to 30 September)
- Be competent in English – a score of 5.5 in IELTS or a TOEFL score of 173 (computer based) or 500 (paper based)
- Have a school leaving certificate, normally with average mark above 70%
- Pass the WIUT entrance test in Maths or have a recognised equivalent qualification in Maths
- an equivalent entry qualifications recognized by the University of Westminster, such as GCSE, International Baccalaureate
For entry to the DEGREE COURSES a candidate must:
- Be 18 yrs old during the academic year of enrollment (academic year runs from 1 October to 30 September)
- Be competent in English – a score of 6.0 (6.5 for Commercial Law) in IELTS or score of 213 computer based or 550 paper in TOEFL
- Successfully complete the first year of university (normally with average mark above 70%)
- Pass the WIUT entrance test in Maths or have a recognised equivalent qualification in Maths (78)
- an equivalent entry qualifications recognised by the University of Westminster, GCSE A/S, International Baccalaureate, SATS
- For Entry Master's Degree Completion of undergraduate study in any discipline Work experience English – IELTS 6,5 (writing minimum 6,0) or TOEFL
- University of Westminster
- Universities in the United Kingdom
- Education in England
- Education in Uzbekistan
Master of Arts in International Business & Management (MAIBM)
An Internationally Recognised Master Degree in International Business & Management (MAIBM) is a British Masters degree awarded by the University of Westminster (UK London) and delivered at Westminster International University in Tashkent. The course content reflects the increasing globalisation of both the knowledge and practice base of business and management education.
It is designed for students with some initial business experience and whose first degree is in a subject other than business. It consists of an intensive introduction to all aspects of management drawing from the experiences of the student body to reflect on the nature of management in an international business environment.
What’s in the course?
Aspects of Marketing Management Human Resources Strategies for International Manager Information Management Managerial Accounting The International Economy International Business Policy PROJECT (a double module, completed over the summer) Optional modules
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Westminster International University in Tashkent.|