Westmount Charter School
|This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (March 2010)|
|Westmount Charter School|
|728 - 32 Street N.W. (Elementary), 2215 Uxbridge Drive N.W. (Mid-High)
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
|School board||Westmount Charter Board|
|Principal||Hal Curties (Elementary)
Dr. Janneke Frank (Mid/Highschool; interim)
|School type||Publicly funded Charter|
Westmount Charter School is a charter school based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada; which educates gifted students from kindergarten to grade 12. It was founded in 1996 as ABC (Action for Bright Children) Charter Public School, a school for gifted children. The school started with 116 students, from grades one to three, and is now hosting a gifted student body of over 1,000 in grades Kindergarten through 12. The name was officially changed from ABC Charter Public School to Westmount Charter School in 2002, though the school remains publicly funded. Westmount's first grade 12 graduation occurred in June 2006.
Teams and Clubs
- Rugby - 15 & 7s (Senior Mens, Women's and Junior Boys Clubs)
- Cross-country running
- Track and field
- Debate/Speech (Westmount Debate Society)
- Scrabble Club
- Hangman Club
- Westmount Charter Film Society
- Hip-Hop Club
- Yearbook club
- Interact club
Westmount has a history in debate medaling in the many tournaments, including regionals, and provincials. Westmount also had a very successful senior debate team, currently reigning champions of the North American Qualifiers, the Billington Cup, the Western Redman debate Open, and the Henry Wise Wood annual Worlds Style Tournament all at the regional level, and the University of British Columbia Open, and the North American Debate Championships at the National and International level. Two students, Alex Yuan and Alif Karmali, attained first place in the Calgary Regional Debate Championship and second place in the Alberta Beginner Debate Championship in 2007.
Westmount Charter School started out in 1996 with a small building in Bridgeland as their home. They have since progressed through a building in the old CFB Currie, and for ten years shared the Viscount Bennett Centre with Chinook Learning Services. In September 2011, Westmount moved to two buildings: Parkdale Elementary, which houses Kindergarten to grade 4, and Sir William Van Horne High School in University Heights, which houses grades 5 to 12. These buildings are leased from the Calgary Board of Education, the public school board in the area.
Westmount's band program encompasses many styles and levels. Within concert band there are Beginner or Grade 5 level. The Junior, Intermediate and Senior levels all vary in grade level. It also offers numerous other music programs, those being String Orchestra, Choir, and two levels of Jazz Band. Unlike most other schools in the province, Westmount starts its Beginner band in Grade 5. Band is currently being taught by Graham Green and Wendy Mah.
Westmount Charter School defines giftedness in this way: "Students are gifted when they perform, or show potential for performing, remarkably high levels of accomplishment in learning rate, depth of knowledge, and reasoning and problem-solving abilities when compared to others of their age, experience, and environment." Since students are gifted they are required to fill out IPP's.
- The founding Principal, Jo-Anne Koch, served from 1996-2002. She died due to cancer. The school library has since been dedicated to her memory.
- Magy Butterfield was acting Principal during the 2001-2002 school year.
- Dr. Elaine McDougall was Principal from 2002-2005.
- Martha Faulkner was Principal from 2005-2011, retiring in June 2011.
- Dr. Shelley Robinson was Principal in the 2011-2012 school year.
- Commencing in the 2012-2013 school year, each campus will have its own Principal. Hal Curties is Principal of the Elementary Campus, while Dr. Janneke Frank is the interim Principal of the Mid-High Campus.
- Colleen Groot - Elementary
- Chris Hooper - Mid-High
- Kristy Martens - Mid-High
- Dani Sever (on leave 2012-2013)
Previous Vice/Assistant Principals include:
- Magy Butterfield
- Marylyn Waters
- Marlee Cole (formerly Rhonda Watrin)
- Martha Faulkner
- Arnold Nugent
- Neil Robinson
- Hal Curties
- Joe Frank
Previous Superintendents include:
- Gerald Porter
- Mervyn Kurtz
- Johnathan Liu
Previous Secretary-Treasurer was
- Megan O'Hara
- Summerstock Conservatory - Drama Organization formerly based out of Westmount
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Westmount Charter School.|
- Welcome page information - http://www.westmountcharter.com
- Charter of Westmount Charter School - Found at http://www.westmountcharter.com/pdfs/charter_agreement.pdf