Weston County, Wyoming
|Weston County, Wyoming|
Weston County Courthouse in Newcastle
Location in the state of Wyoming
Wyoming's location in the U.S.
|• Total||2,400 sq mi (6,216 km2)|
|• Land||2,398 sq mi (6,211 km2)|
|• Water||1.9 sq mi (5 km2), 0.1%|
|• Density||3.0/sq mi (1/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
Weston County was named for John B. Weston, who was a geologist and surveyor. In 1887, John Weston and Frank Mondell found rich coal deposits north of Newcastle which caused a railroad to be built through the area.
- Crook County (north)
- Lawrence County, South Dakota (northeast)
- Pennington County, South Dakota (east)
- Custer County, South Dakota (southeast)
- Niobrara County (south)
- Converse County (southwest)
- Campbell County (west)
- U.S. Highway 16
- U.S. Highway 20
- U.S. Highway 85
- Wyoming Highway 116
- Wyoming Highway 450
- Wyoming Highway 585
National protected areas
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,644 people, 2,624 households, and 1,868 families residing in the county. The population density was 3 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 3,231 housing units at an average density of 1 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 95.94% White, 0.12% Black or African American, 1.26% Native American, 0.20% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.93% from other races, and 1.54% from two or more races. 2.06% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 33.0% were of German, 13.0% English, 8.9% Irish and 7.2% American ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 2,624 households out of which 31.10% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.40% were married couples living together, 7.30% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.80% were non-families. 25.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.50% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 2.88.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.10% under the age of 18, 7.40% from 18 to 24, 26.30% from 25 to 44, 26.70% from 45 to 64, and 15.60% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 103.10 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 103.80 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $32,348, and the median income for a family was $40,472. Males had a median income of $34,321 versus $18,640 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,366. About 6.30% of families and 9.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.30% of those under age 18 and 13.60% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure
The Wyoming Department of Corrections Wyoming Honor Conservation Camp & Boot Camp is located in Newcastle. The facility was operated by the Wyoming Board of Charities and Reform until that agency was dissolved as a result of a state constitutional amendment passed in November 1990.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 25, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Long, John H. (2006). "Wyoming: Individual County Chronologies". Wyoming Atlas of Historical County Boundaries. The Newberry Library. Retrieved 2011-09-06.
- Urbanek, Mae (1988). Wyoming Place Names. Missoula, MT: Mountain Press Publishing Company. ISBN 0-87842-204-8.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 25, 2014.
- "Historical Decennial Census Population for Wyoming Counties, Cities, and Towns". Wyoming Department of Administration & Information, Division of Economic Analysis. Retrieved January 25, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Contact Institutions." Wyoming Department of Corrections. Retrieved on August 22, 2010.
- "Newcastle city, Wyoming." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on December 12, 2010.
- "About the Department of Corrections." Wyoming Department of Corrections. Retrieved on August 22, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Weston County, Wyoming.|
||Crook County||Lawrence County, South Dakota|
|Campbell County||Pennington County, South Dakota|
|Converse County||Niobrara County||Custer County, South Dakota|