Westover is an unincorporated community in Somerset County, Maryland, United States. It is located on Maryland Route 413 near its terminus at U.S. Route 13. Owing to its central location in Somerset County, it is home to many important services.
Westover has a post office with the area code of 21871. Its area code is 410.
The community possesses a post office and a former elementary school near its center. It also has two convenience stores and gas stations, one of which is in the median of US 13. Further south on MD 413 is the Somerset County Health Department. Further north is the Eastern Correctional Institute, one of the largest employers in the county.
The county police station is located in the community, on Sam Barnes Road. The Somerset County Department of Parks and Recreation is also located here. The Great Hope Golf Course is located a little further south on MD 413.
Arlington, Beauchamp House, Brentwood Farm, Cedar Hill, Liberty Hall, Salisbury Plantation, St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church, and William T. Tull House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Westover is the location for a couple of important schools in Somerset County.
- Somerset Intermediate School - serves grades 6 and 7 for all of Somerset County
- J. M. Tawes Vocational Center
Maryland Route 413 is the main road through the community. Development is relatively close to the road, so the speed limit drops to 40 mph from the 55 mph it usually is.
Sam Barnes Road houses several important facilities in the county. A section of this road is Maryland Route 673, a small connector road between the two aforementioned highways, which allows the only connection from US 13 northbound to MD 413 southbound.
Old Westover–Marion Road and Sign Post Road intersect MD 413 diagonally, and itself was the original alignment of said road. It leads north to Revell's Neck Road.
Several routes travel through the community, provided by Shore Transit:
- Route 701: Princess Anne, Westover, and express service to Salisbury
- Route 111: Princess Anne and Delmar
- Route 703: Princess Anne and Salisbury, limited service on Sundays only
- Route 431 and 451: Salisbury, Ocean City, and Pocomoke City
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Westover, Maryland
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
|This article about a location in Somerset County Maryland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|