Westview High School (San Diego)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014)|
|Westview High School|
|13500 Camino Del Sur
San Diego, California
|Type||Public high school|
|Established||August 27, 2002|
|School district||Poway Unified School District|
|Average SAT scores||1718|
|Average ACT scores||24.39|
|Feeder schools||Mesa Verde Middle School and Black Mountain Middle School|
Westview uses a 4 by 4 block schedule for each school year. Under this system, the school year is divided into four quarters, as opposed to other schools' semester and trimester systems. Each student takes up to four classes per quarter, allowing a student to complete up to sixteen classes each year—four classes more than under a semester schedule with six periods (Rancho Bernardo) and one more than under a trimester schedule with five periods (Mt. Carmel and Del Norte). Classes at Westview last an average of 79 minutes a day.
Administration and staff
Westview is divided into three "hubs," each with a separate administration system and cadre of homeroom teachers, designed to cultivate intraschool competition and camaraderie. The combined staff consists of 85 teachers, 4 administrators, 4 counselors, 2 librarians, 1 school psychologist, and 39 support staff.
As of the 2011–2012 school year, 2,372 students were enrolled at the school. Of these, 567 of the students were enrolled in 9th grade, 620 in 10th, 581 in 11th, and 604 in 12th. The school's student body is 51.3% White, 34.9% Asian/Filipino, 8.6% Hispanic or Latino, 2.1% African American, 0.4% Pacific Islander, 0.1% Native American, and 2.5% Other.
Of the 586 graduates of the school in 2011, 94% decided to attend college. Of these, 73% went to 4-year colleges and the remaining 27% to 2-year colleges.
A 4x4 block learning schedule is implemented at Westview, meaning that over the course of a year a student will take up to eight courses, or four each semester. Each course is broken into two nine-week quarters each worth five credits. In addition to the four daily classes, there are various other periods such as Homeroom, Silent Sustained Reading (SSR), and Wolverine Time, a tutorial period, which occur only on specific days of the week. School begins at 8:05 AM on all days except Wednesday, when it begins at 9:15 AM. School ends at 3:10 PM except on "minimum days" on final exam dates where only half the classes exist.
Graduation from Westview requires meeting of PUSD's course requirements. They include a biological science course, a civics and economics course, a fine arts course, two math courses, a physical science course, one English course in each grade, and one course in each of U.S. History and world history. In addition to the required ninth-grade physical education requirement, one other physical education course is needed. Students also need to pass the California High School Exit Exam.
Grade point averages are computed with each quarter receiving either an A, B, C, or F, which correspond to 4, 3, 2, and 0, respectively. In addition to one Honors course, all Advanced Placement courses are assigned values of 5, 4, 3, and 0, for these grades.
- Arianna Afsar, semi-finalist on American Idol 8, placed in the Top 10 at the 2011 Miss America pageant
- James Eagan Holmes, Class of 2006, alleged gunman in the 2012 Aurora shooting
- Primary and secondary schools in San Diego, California
- "California School Directory". California Department of Education. Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- "Certificated Staff by Ethnicity". California Department of Education. 2010–2011. Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- "Enrollment by Grade". California Department of Education. 2011–2012. Retrieved March 3, 2013.
- "SAT Report". California Department of Education. 2009–2010. Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- "ACT Report". California Department of Education. 2009–2010. Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- "Westview - About Us: Class Scheduling".
- Westview - About Us Accessed March 8, 2010.
- Westview High School, Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Accessed October 23, 2007.
- "Westview - Hubs".
- Westview High School (2011). "School Accountability Report Card". Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- "Enrollment by Ethnicity for 2011-12: District and School Enrollment by Ethnicity". California Department of Education. Retrieved March 19, 2013.
- Poway Unified School District. "School Profile". Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- Westview High School (January 3, 2012). "Bell Schedule". Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- Westview High School. "Westview Learning Schedule". Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- Westview High School. "Graduation Requirements". Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- Westview High School. "Academic Information". Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- Clifford, Jane (2009-05-17). "American dreams".
- Gillian Flaccus and Mead Gruver (July 21, 2012). "Bomb Squads Disarm Traps at Colo. Suspect's Apt". Associated Press. Retrieved July 22, 2012.
- Moye, David (July 23, 2012). "James Holmes San Diego Upbringing Examined". Huff Post Los Angeles. Retrieved 24 July 2012.