Westwood (LIRR station)
Westwood Station's Malverne shelter. The Lynbrook shelter can be seen across the tracks.
|Address||Foster Avenue & Motley Street
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Parking||Yes; Village of Malverne & Lynbrook permits required|
|Bicycle facilities||Yes; Bicycle Racks|
|Electrified||October 19, 1926
750V (DC) third rail
Westwood is a station on the Long Island Rail Road's West Hempstead Branch serving the villages of Malverne, Lynbrook, and Valley Stream, New York. The station platform is located on Foster Avenue in Malverne, New York, with parking facilities on both the Malverne (Foster Avenue at Motley Street) and Lynbrook (Whitehall Street at Whittier Street) sides of the tracks. It has no station building, because the 1929-built station was gutted into a shelter in 1955. It also features a gated at-grade pedestrian crossing, one of only two such stations on the Long Island Rail Road to exclusively feature such crossings, the other being Mineola.
No buses connect to Westwood Station, however local suburban taxi cabs do stop there. A basketball court can be found on the Malverne side of the station.
Platform and track
|1||■West Hempstead Branch||toward New York (Valley Stream)|
|■West Hempstead Branch||toward West Hempstead (Malverne)|
- Average weekday, 2006 LIRR Origin and Destination Study
- LIRR station History (TrainsAreFun.com)
- Westwood's at-grade Pedestrian Crossing looking from Lynbrook into Malverne (Unofficial LIRR History Website)
- DanTD (June 10, 2010). Westwood Station from the Basketball Court (photograph). Retrieved July 15, 2013.
- Westwood Shelter Track View High-level platforms under construction September 27, 1973 George Povall collection (TrainsAreFun)
Media related to Westwood (LIRR station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Official LIRR station information page for Westwood
- Station timetable for Westwood
- Unofficial LIRR History Website
- Station from Google Maps Street View
|This New York train station–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|