Wet'n'Wild Las Vegas
|Wet'n'Wild Las Vegas|
|Location||Spring Valley, Nevada, United States|
|Owner||Village Roadshow Limited (majority stake)|
|Operated by||Village Roadshow Theme Parks|
|Area||41 acres (17 ha)|
|Water slides||10 water slides|
|Children's areas||A single children's area|
Wet'n'Wild Las Vegas is a water park currently under construction in Summerlin, Spring Valley, Nevada. The park is part of Village Roadshow Theme Parks' Wet'n'Wild chain of water parks located across the world. Wet'n'Wild Las Vegas is set to open in May 2013.
On August 6, 2011, plans to develop a 26-acre (11 ha) water park in the Las Vegas Valley were unveiled. The owners of the Hawaiian Falls chain of water parks in Texas were behind the proposal to open the park by Memorial Day Weekend 2012. On November 14, 2011, Splash Canyon Waterpark was officially announced along with a listing of the rides and attractions to be included in the park. On February 3, 2012, it was announced that the opening of the water park would be delayed by a year to ensure everything would be completely operational before opening.
In June 2012, Australian-based entertainment company Village Roadshow revealed they had plans to open a Wet'n'Wild-branded water park in Las Vegas. The company already operates Wet'n'Wild Hawaii and Wet'n'Wild Phoenix in the United States, as well as a number of amusement and water parks in Australia including a Wet'n'Wild park on the Gold Coast. On October 4, 2012, it was announced that Village Roadshow Theme Parks would be opening Wet'n'Wild Las Vegas in May 2013 on the site of the proposed Splash Canyon Waterpark. Village Roadshow will hold a 51% stake in the park with private investors including Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf holding the remaining 49%. The 41-acre (17 ha) water park will cost over US$50 million.
In mid-May 2013, Wet'n'Wild Las Vegas announced the park's opening and operating schedule, as well as the beginning of a charity auction for the first rides on four of the park's slides. Due to the expected popularity of the park, Wet'n'Wild Las Vegas' opening will be staggered for different ticket holders. Following a private grand opening party on May 23, the park will open to Gold Pass holders on May 24, Season Pass holders on May 28, and all other ticket holders on June 3.
Wet'n'Wild Las Vegas will feature 25 attractions including:
- Canyon Cliffs – two speed slides with trapdoor releases
- Colorado Cooler – a 1,000-foot-long (300 m) lazy river
- Constrictor – a multi-person raft ride featuring corkscrew turns and speeds of up to 18 miles per hour (29 km/h)
- Desert Racers – a 360-foot-long (110 m) multi-lane racer water slide with 6 lanes
- Hoover Half Pipe – a WhiteWater West Boomerango water slide
- Rattler – a WhiteWater West Rattler water slide
- Royal Flush Extreme – a WhiteWater West bowl water slide
- Splash Island – a WhiteWater West AquaPlay area which features a variety of slides as well as a 300-US-gallon (1,100 L) tipping bucket
- The Wave Pool – a 17,000-square-foot (1,600 m2) wave pool capable of producing 3-foot-high (0.91 m) waves
- Zipp, Zapp, and Zoom – a series of inline tube slides
- Velotta, Richard N. (October 4, 2012). "Wet ‘n’ Wild water park coming to Las Vegas". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- Harvin, Sharie (August 6, 2011). "New Waterpark in the Works for Las Vegas". KLAS-TV 8 News Now. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- Splash Canyon Waterpark (November 14, 2011). "Splash Canyon Waterpark to Open Memorial Day 2012 in Las Vegas". Digital Journal. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- The Associated Press (February 3, 2012). "Vegas waterpark delays grand opening until 2013". News Times. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- "Village Roadshow and Sanderson set sights on Asia". Park World Online. June 18, 2012. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- "Theme Parks". Village Roadshow Limited. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- Guillermo, Matt (October 4, 2012). "Vegas water park resurrects 'Wet 'n' Wild' name". Fox 5. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- Westthorp, Tanya (October 5, 2012). "Coast Wet'n'Wild inspires Vegas park". Gold Coast Bulletin. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- "First official rides on four Wet ‘n’ Wild Las Vegas slides to be auctioned for Andre Agassi Foundation for Education and Opportunity Village". Las Vegas Sun. 16 May 2013. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- "Attractions". Wet'n'Wild Las Vegas. Retrieved October 5, 2012.