|Location||Wetherby, West Yorkshire|
|Screened on||Racing UK|
|Course type||National Hunt|
|Notable races||Castleford Chase
Charlie Hall Chase
Wetherby Racecourse is a racecourse situated near the market town of Wetherby in West Yorkshire, England, located 12 miles (19 km) from Leeds city centre. The course currently hosts only National Hunt racing but will stage its first Flat racing fixtures in April 2015.
The Racecourse is located on the B1224 York Road, directly adjacent to the A1(M). It is situated opposite Wetherby (HM Prison). There are new access roads between North and East Wetherby and the A1(M). The racecourse can also be accessed from Walton Road at the rear of the stands.
Horse racing in Wetherby was first took place on Scaur Bank (now officially known as King George V playing fields although still most commonly referred to as 'Scaur Bank' or 'The Ings'). In 1891 racing moved to a new site situated off York Road. From the 1920s to the 1950s the racecourse was served by Wetherby Racecourse railway station. In the 1930s the first terraces were erected, a new two tier stand was erected adjacent to this in the 1970s and then in 1999 the new Millennium Stand was opened, providing the racecourse with executive banqueting and conference facilities. Up until 1963, Racecourse Specials ran to Wetherby railway station from Bradford Interchange on racedays. As the station on York Road had closed many years before, for decades the only rail access was via the station on Linton Road at the other end of Wetherby from the racecourse.
Wetherby Racecourse is currently the only racecourse in Yorkshire that hosts only National Hunt jump meetings, but will stage four Flat racing fixtures in April 2015. The course announced early in 2014 that they were investigating staging summer Flat racing and were granted four fixtures when the 2015 list was released in October 2014.
The Racecourse features the following facilities, areas and amenities:
- The Wetherby Millennium Stand & Premier Enclosure
- The Paddock Stands and Paddock gallery
- Parade Ring and Winners Enclosure
- The A1 Bar
- Administration Office & Weighing Room Complex.
- First Aid Room
- Pre-Parade Ring & Saddling-Up area
- Tote Credit Club
- The Paddock Bar
- Owners & Trainers Bar
- Stables Complex
- Cafe and Bar.
- Tote Betting Shop
- Paddock Bookmakers
- Course Bookmakers
- Betting Ring Information
- Course Enclosure Parking
- White Horse Restaurant
- White Horse Mezzanine Bar
- Marston Moor Bar
- Dine and View Restaurant
- Course Bar
- Course Cafe
Premier Enclosure This is housed within the Millennium Stand. Although there is no dresscode, the management advise a smart-casual attire. Spectators in this enclosure have access to the most luxurious bars and restaurants including the White Horse Restaurant and Mezzanine Bar.
Paddock Enclosure The largest of the three enclosures is the mid spec, Paddock Enclosure. This is set within the two older stands and has access to the A1 Bar as well as most of the book makers including the large Tote betting shop.
Course Enclosure The cheapest of the enclosures is situated in the centre of the course. It has its own bar, cafe, Tote Betting Shop, Bookmakers stands and 'big screen', however it lacks many of the facitities, the other enclosures benefit from.
Admitance pricing varies from £2 to £27. This pricing is only general and may vary depending on the race meeting.
- The Racecourse is the starting point for the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride, from Wetherby to Filey. This is currently receiving much publicity on BBC Radio Leeds, from DJ Paul Carrington, who is attempting the ride this year.
- The market holds a market and carboot sale every Sunday. This is held in the Course Enclosure, although it is still large, it no longer receives the popularity it had in the 1980s and 1990s.
References in popular culture
- In the 1973 episode 'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner' of BBC sitcom Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads, Terry Collier (James Bolam), asks for the results of the racing at Wetherby
- The racecourse has been mentioned on several occasions in ITV police drama, Heartbeat.
- "Wetherby mull Flat plan". skysports.com. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "Chelmsford City given 58 meetings in 2015 Fixture List". telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- Official Wetherby Racecourse & Conference Centre, Enclosures, Jump Racing Yorkshire
- Official Wetherby Racecourse & Conference Centre, Jump Racing Yorkshire
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wetherby Racecourse.|