|DfE URN||130653 Tables|
|Former name||Weymouth Grammar School|
Weymouth College is a further education college located in Weymouth, England. The college has over 7,000 students, studying on a wide range of practical and academic courses in many subjects. The college is part of The University of Plymouth Colleges network.
Until recently, the college had a second site on Newstead Road.
This site was opened in 1913 as Weymouth Secondary School, which in 1927 became known as Weymouth Grammar School. In 1939, the school began sharing this site with South Dorset Technical College. In the 1960s, the school moved to new premises in Chickerell Road, leaving the technical college with sole use of the site. The grammar school was co-educational with around 1,050 boys and girls administered by the South Dorset Divisional Executive of Dorset Education Committee.
Merger and formation
1985 saw the creation of the modern Weymouth College, with the merging of the technical college with Weymouth College (the former Weymouth College site became known as the Cranford Avenue campus).
In 2001, the Newstead Road site was sold for housing development, and all students based there were transferred to new facilities at the Cranford Avenue campus, creating the college as it exists today.
Recently,[when?] Weymouth College has expanded provision beyond its traditional curriculum offering. A sports centre and gym facility for public use was opened at the Cranford Avenue site, with the college additionally taking over the operation of the former Weymouth Sports Club site on Dorchester Road, now renamed as Redlands Community Sports Hub.
- Mark Hix, chef
Weymouth Grammar School
- Charles Bawden, professor of Mongolian 1970-84 at the School of Oriental and African Studies
- Air Vice-Marshal Victor Otter CBE, chief engineering officer 1956-9 of RAF Bomber Command and project director 1963-66 of the Hawker Siddeley P.1127/P.1154 (Harrier)
- General Sir Frederick Alfred Pile MC, colonel commandant from 1945 to 1952 of the Royal Artillery
- Maj-Gen Alec Walkling CB OBE, Colonel Commandant from 1973 10 1986 of the Royal Artillery
- Web page Old Weymouthians' Club