|Directed by||Roman Polanski|
|Produced by||Carlo Ponti|
|Written by||Roman Polanski and Gérard Brach|
Carlo delle Piane,
Mogens von Gadow
|Music by||Claudio Gizzi|
|Release dates||December 7, 1972|
|Running time||110 min.|
|Country||Italy, France, Germany|
|Language||English, Italian, French|
What? (Che?, also variously titled Quoi?, Was?, and Diary of Forbidden Dreams) is a 1973 comedy film written and directed by Roman Polanski, starring Marcello Mastroianni, Sydne Rome and Hugh Griffith.
Set in an unnamed coastal city in Italy, the movie tells a story of an American girl, Nancy (Sydne Rome) who, after a rape attempt, takes shelter in a villa where strange guests go around. There she gets into a relationship with a retired pimp, Alex (Marcello Mastroianni).
Nancy's adventures have been compared with those of Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, although turned into erotic ones. Critics have also pointed out the movie's lack of connectiveness and the excessive absurdity of several situations.
- Marcello Mastroianni as Alex
- Sydne Rome as Nancy
- Hugh Griffith as Joseph Noblart
- Guido Alberti as Priest
- Gianfranco Piacentini as Tony
- Carlo Delle Piane as Young Oaf #1 in Car
- Mario Bussolino as Young Oaf #2 in Car
- Henning Schlüter as Catone
- Christiane Barry as Dresser
- Pietro Tordi as Man-Servant
- Nerina Montagnani as Chambermaid
- Mogens von Gadow as German
- Dieter Hallervorden as German
- Elisabeth Witte as Baby
- John Karlsen as Edward
This is one of a number of Polanski's films in which he gave himself a role.
- "Exclusive Interview with Composer Claudio Gizzi". Fangoria. Retrieved 2012-04-10.
- Vincent Canby (1973-10-04). "Che? (1973) Film: X-Rated Polanski: What?". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-03-25.
- Rabin, Nathan (October 28, 2009). "Polanski-tastic Sick-Fuck Case File #149: What?". The A.V. Club. Onion. Retrieved 2009-11-01.
- "«Che?» di Roman Polanski Sydne Rome in un mondo di pazzi". Retrieved 27 August 2013.
|This film article about a 1970s comedy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|