What Do You Want from Me (Pink Floyd song)
|"What Do You Want from Me"|
|Song by Pink Floyd from the album The Division Bell|
|Published||Pink Floyd Music (1987) Ltd|
|Released||28 March 1994 (UK)
5 April 1994 (US)
|Genre||Progressive rock, blues rock|
|Writer||David Gilmour, Rick Wright, Polly Samson|
|Producer||Bob Ezrin and David Gilmour|
|The Division Bell track listing|
"What Do You Want from Me" is a song by Pink Floyd featured on their 1994 album, The Division Bell. It was composed by Richard Wright, David Gilmour, and his then-girlfriend and subsequent wife Polly Samson. A live version from Pulse was released as a single in Canada, reaching #28 in the Canadian Top Singles charts.
Song structure and lyrics
The song is a slow, yet rocking ballad. It has a drum roll introduction, followed by a keyboard solo and then a guitar solo. David Gilmour has agreed with an interviewer that it is a "straight Chicago blues tune", while mentioning he is still a blues fan.
In an interview, David Gilmour was asked if the song returned to the theme of alienation from the audience. He responded by saying that it "actually had more to do with personal relationships but drifted into wider territory".
There is also speculation that the lyrics are a message to Floyd fans from Gilmour expressing how he feels the fans are always wanting more and more from the band, such as "Should I sing until I can't sing anymore? Play these strings 'til my fingers are raw?", "You're so hard to please", and (song title) "What do you want from me?"
- David Gilmour — electric & acoustic guitars, lead vocals
- Richard Wright — Hammond organ, synthesizers, wah-wah Fender Rhodes electric piano, backing vocals
- Nick Mason — drums, percussion
- Jon Carin — additional keyboards
- Guy Pratt — bass guitar
- Sam Brown - backing vocals
- Durga McBroom - backing vocals
- Carol Kenyon - backing vocals
- Strong, Martin C. (2004). The Great Rock Discography (7th ed.). Edinburgh: Canongate Books. p. 1178. ISBN 1-84195-551-5.
- Mabbett, Andy (1995). The Complete Guide to the Music of Pink Floyd. London: Omnibus Press. ISBN 0-7119-4301-X.
- Library and Archives Canada: Top Singles - Volume 61, No. 23, July 10, 1995, July 10, 1995, retrieved 12 July 2014
- Brad Tolinski (September 1994). "Sounds of Silence". Guitar World. Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- Fuller, Graham (July 1994). "The Color of Floyd". Interview Magazine, p. 20-21. Retrieved 2011-07-22.
- What Do You Want From Me lyrics, Pink Floyd, Sing365.com.