What Doesn't Kill You
|What Doesn't Kill You|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Brian Goodman|
|Produced by||Marc Frydman
Peter R. McIntosh
|Screenplay by||Donnie Wahlberg
Paul T. Murray
|Based on||What Doesn't Kill You
by Warren Adler
Cold Spring Pictures
The Montecito Picture Company
Bob Yari Productions
|Distributed by||Yari Film Group Releasing|
What Doesn't Kill You is a 2008 American crime drama based on the true life story of the film's director Brian Goodman, detailing his own exploits involved with South Boston's Irish Mob. Starring Ethan Hawke and Mark Ruffalo, it premiered at the 2008 Toronto International Film Festival, and was released on a very small scale in December 2008 due to the collapse of its distributor Yari Film Group.
Hawke and Ruffalo play childhood friends Paulie and Brian, who are forced to survive on the tough streets of South Boston through a life of petty thievery. They join a local gang of criminals, but Brian finds it hard to reconcile his work and friendship with Paulie and his relationship with his wife (Amanda Peet) and sons.
- Mark Ruffalo as Brian Reilly
- Ethan Hawke as Paulie McDougan
- Amanda Peet as Stacy Reilly
- Will Lyman as Sully
- Brian Goodman as Pat Kelly
- Donnie Wahlberg as Detective Moran
- Angela Featherstone as Katie
- Brian Connolly as Sean
- Lindsey McKeon as Nicole
- Michael Yebba as Round Man
The film received generally favorable reviews from critics. Based on the 10 critic reviews collected by Metacritic, it received an average score of 71 out of 100. Rotten Tomatoes generated a 66% favorable rating based on 32 reviews.
- "Exclusive: Brian Goodman Faces What Doesn't Kill You". comingsoon.net. 2008-12-10. Retrieved 2009-10-23.
- "What Doesn't Kill You Blurb by Dave Wedge". BostonHerald.com. 2009-04-26. Retrieved 2009-10-23.
- "Toronto Film Festival lineup 2008". Variety. 2008-08-19. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- Fleming, Michael (2008-12-12). "Bob Yari crashes into Chapter 11". Variety. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "What Doesn't Kill You Reviews at Metacritic.com". Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "What Doesn't Kill You Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes". Retrieved 2009-10-19.