What Have I Done to Deserve This? (film)
|What Have I Done to Deserve This?|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Pedro Almodóvar|
|Produced by||Hervé Hachuel|
|Written by||Pedro Almodóvar|
Ángel de Andrés López
|Music by||Bernardo Bonezzi|
|Cinematography||Angel L. Fernandez|
|Edited by||José Salcedo|
Kaktus Producciones Cinematográficas
|Distributed by||Cinevista (US)|
|Running time||101 minutes|
|Box office||ESP 116,730,182
What Have I Done to Deserve This? (Spanish: ¿Qué he hecho yo para merecer esto?) is a 1984 Spanish comedy-drama film by Pedro Almodóvar. The title is sometimes given with an exclamation mark at the end rather than a question mark.
Almodóvar has described his fourth film as a homage to Italian neorealism, although this tribute also involves jokes about paedophilia, prostitution, and a telekenetic child. The film, set in the tower blocks around Madrid, depicts female frustration and family breakdown, echoing Jean-Luc Godard's Two or Three Things I Know About Her but with Almodóvar's unique approach to filmmaking. Carmen Maura has often worked for Almodóvar, she became a synonym for a strong woman and also a gay icon for her role as a transsexual in Law of Desire.
The film is a slice of a housewife's life in 1980s post-Franco Madrid: Gloria lives in a small and cheap apartment with husband and two teenage children: the declared homosexual Miguel, whom she sells to the dentist, and the drug-dealing Toni. Her husband, Antonio, longs for a German woman for whom he was a chauffeur in Germany before he married Gloria.
Gloria's mother-in-law, a frugal and unhappy woman who hides her Magdalena cakes and desperately wants to move back to her native countryside, is another addition to Gloria's household. Cristal, a prostitute who lives next door, is Gloria's best friend.
When Gloria's husband assaults her in the kitchen, she accidentally kills him after hitting him with a ham leg. Her mother-in-law's lizard, Money, is the only witness to the crime. Gloria successfully evades the investigators and is never tied to the murder. There are many subplots intertwined with the main narrative with characters including a writer, his beauty-obsessed wife and an impotent policeman frustrated by his lack of sexual power.
- Carmen Maura as Gloria
- Ángel de Andrés López as Antonio
- Verónica Forqué as Cristal
- Gonzalo Suarez as Lucas Villalba
- Miguel Ángel Herranz as Miguel
- Juan Martínez as Toni
- Cecilia Roth as Chica anuncio
- Ryo Hiruma as Professor Kendo
- Pedro Almodóvar as Playback 'La bien pagá'
- Tinin Almodovar as Cajero
- "WHAT HAVE I DONE TO DESERVE THIS? (18)". British Board of Film Classification. 2 August 1989. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- "What Have I Done to Deserve This? (1984) - Box office / business". Internet Movie Database. Amazon.com. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- What Have I Done to Deserve This? at the Internet Movie Database
- What Have I Done to Deserve This? at Rotten Tomatoes