What If... (2010 film)
- Not to be confused with The F Word (2013 film)
|Directed by||Dallas Jenkins|
Andrea Gyertson Nasfell
|Music by||Jeehun Hwang|
|Edited by||Frank Reynolds|
|Distributed by||Pure Flix Entertainment|
What If... is a 2010 Christian/drama film directed by Dallas Jenkins. It stars Kevin Sorbo, Kristy Swanson, Debby Ryan and John Ratzenberger. The film was released to theaters on August 20, 2010. It is the first film in a two-movie partnership between Jenkins Entertainment and Pure Flix Entertainment.
Fifteen years ago, Ben Walker (Kevin Sorbo) decided to leave his college sweetheart Wendy (Kristy Swanson), and ultimately his faith, in order to pursue a lucrative business opportunity, graduating top of his class from Harvard Business School instead of receiving a doctorate in Theology with a minor in Biblical Archaeology from Moody Bible Institute.
In the present, Ben has become a financial wizard as the head of his company, and has just proposed marriage to a pretty yet materialistic fiancée. When his car breaks down on the way to the airport, he is visited by a gruff yet angelic mechanic (John Ratzenberger), who tells him that he needs to see what his life would have been like had he followed God’s calling. Suddenly, Ben finds himself in an alternate reality married to Wendy with two daughters - rebellious teen Kimberly (Debby Ryan), and Kimberly's little sister, Megan (portrayed by newcomer Taylor Groothuis) - getting ready for church on a Sunday morning, where he’s scheduled to give his first sermon as the new pastor. The mechanic explains that this is an experience God has put in place to show Ben what would have happened if he'd accepted his other calling, the great "What If".
If Ben wants to get back to his old life, he must first learn to appreciate the value of faith and family, and perhaps rediscover the love of his life. In the tradition of It's a Wonderful Life and The Family Man, What If... tells the story of a man whose glimpse into what he’s missing reminds him of what he truly wants.
What If... was filmed June 28–July 14, 2009, mostly in Manistee, Michigan at 10 West Studios, with some filming done in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Jenkins Entertainment is owned by Jerry B. Jenkins and operated by his son Dallas Jenkins. Jerry will serve as executive producer and Dallas will direct both films. Pure Flix Entertainment will produce and supervise marketing and distribution for the films.
- Serba, John (July 1, 2009). "'What If' direct-to-DVD movie filming in Manistee, Grand Rapids". The Grand Rapids Press. MLive.com. Retrieved December 16, 2009.
- Moring, Mark (August 5, 2009). "Cliff Clavin, Hercules in Christian flick". Christianity Today. Retrieved December 16, 2009.
- Rykerd, Beverly (September 29, 2009). "Jenkins Entertainment's New Film 'What If...' Completes Principal Photography". The Christian Post. Retrieved December 16, 2009.
- Granger, Karen Fortner (April 9, 2010). "Dallas Jenkins to release film, What If". The Good News. Retrieved April 24, 2010.