What a Girl Wants (film)
|What a Girl Wants|
Original theatrical poster
|Directed by||Dennie Gordon|
|Produced by||Denise Di Novi
|Written by||Jenny Bicks
|Music by||Rupert Gregson-Williams|
|Editing by||Charles McClelland|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
|Running time||105 minutes|
What a Girl Wants is a 2003 American film starring Amanda Bynes, Colin Firth, Kelly Preston and Oliver James. Directed by Dennie Gordon, the film is a remake of the 1958 film The Reluctant Debutante, which was based on the play of the same name.
|This section requires expansion. (March 2013)|
Daphne Reynolds (Amanda Bynes) lives a comfortable but unsatisfying life as a young American girl with a bright future. She has never met her father, who left her mother Libby (Kelly Preston) seventeen years ago because his family disapproved of their relationship.
Daphne flies to London to connect with her father, Lord Henry Dashwood (Colin Firth), who has given up his seat in the House of Lords to run for election to the House of Commons. Lord Dashwood embraces the opportunity to reconnect with his daughter, but her appearance causes a controversy that endangers his political ambitions. Daphne tries to win the acceptance of her father's social circle but is opposed by his fiancée and step-daughter.
Ultimately, Daphne rejects her new self because it is not who she is. She returns to America, but Henry goes to find her and reconcile with her mother.
- Amanda Bynes as Daphne Reynolds
- Colin Firth as Lord Henry Dashwood
- Kelly Preston as Libby Reynolds
- Oliver James as Ian Wallace
- Eileen Atkins as Jocelyn Dashwood
- Anna Chancellor as Glynnis Payne
- Jonathan Pryce as Alistair Payne
- Christina Cole as Clarissa Payne
- Sylvia Syms as Princess Charlotte
- Tara Summers as Noelle
- Ben Scholfield as Armistead Stuart
- Cassie Powney as Peach Orwood
- Connie Powney as Pear Orwood
- Peter Hugo as Prince Charles
- Matthew Turpin as Prince William
- Elliot Gibson as Prince Harry
Box office 
Despite receiving mixed reviews, the film was a box office success. In its opening weekend, the film grossed $11,434,964 million in 2,964 theaters in the United States and Canada, ranking #2 at the box office. By the end of its run, What a Girl Wants grossed $36,105,433 domestically and $14,626,706 internationally, totaling $50,732,139 worldwide.
The film received mixed to negative reviews from critics, with a 35% positive review assessment on Rotten Tomatoes. The San Francisco Chronicle called it a "dreadful teen comedy." The Village Voice described the film as "a sanitized adventure for the Mary Kate-and-Ashley set."
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: What a Girl Wants|
- Official website
- What a Girl Wants at the Internet Movie Database
- What a Girl Wants at Rotten Tomatoes
- What a Girl Wants at Yahoo! Movies