What to Do When You Are Dead
|What to Do When You Are Dead|
|Studio album by Armor for Sleep|
|Released||February 22, 2005|
|Recorded||August-October 2004 at Water Music Recorders, Hoboken, New Jersey|
|Label||Equal Vision Records|
|Armor for Sleep chronology|
What to Do When You Are Dead is the second studio album by American rock band Armor for Sleep, released February 22, 2005 on Equal Vision Records. It is a concept album, with each song telling the story of the protagonist's suicide as well as his journey through the afterlife.
The album begins with a hidden track in the pregap, a monologue spoken by the album's protagonist discussing his thoughts and feelings before he commits suicide. The track fades into the first track, "Car Underwater", describing how he plunges his car into an unnamed body of water, as a result of a straining relationship with his significant other (their status was not discussed at any point).
The remaining tracks feature moments of personal introspection at the positive and negative aspects of his life, while he quietly stalks around important locations of his past life (such as his girlfriend's home) without disturbing anyone. Analyzing the lyrics of each track, you can see him progress through the Kübler-Ross 5-stage model of grief management as he initially denies his situation, then wishes for a reversal, and finally, accepting his fate.
The album ends with the character finally coming to grips with his decision, and his spirit continues on, having completed his business in this life.
Initial copies of the CD came with a bonus DVD that featured live footage of the band, as well as music videos for the tracks: My Town and Dream to Make Believe. It also included a "Making of This CD" documentary as part of the DVD. Finally, a little booklet was included, entitled What to Do When You Are Dead: A Comprehensive Guide to the Afterlife. It features (satirical) ways to cope with death should you unexpectedly perish.
All lyrics written by [Armor For Sleep]]; music composed by Armor for Sleep.
- "One Last Regret" (pregap hidden track) - 1:17
- "Car Underwater" - 3:48
- "The Truth About Heaven" - 3:30
- "Remember to Feel Real" - 3:21
- "Awkward Last Words" - 3:46
- "Stay on the Ground" - 4:30
- "A Quick Little Flight" - 2:12
- "The More You Talk the Less I Hear" - 4:04
- "Basement Ghost Singing" - 4:36
- "Walking at Night, Alone" - 4:14
- "I Have Been Right All Along" - 3:46
- "The End of a Fraud" - 5:11
- iTunes bonus track
- "Very Invisible" - 4:22
- Ben Jorgensen - vocals, rhythm guitar, lyrics, art direction
- P.J. DeCicco - lead guitar
- Anthony Dilonno - bass guitar
- Nash Breen - drums, percussion
- Machine - production, engineering, mixing
- Jakob Nygard - Additional engineering
- Will Quinnell - mastering
- Dave Hill - photography
- What to Do When You Are Dead - the original book by Craig Hamilton-Parker on which the album title was based. book