Whatever It Is
|"Whatever It Is"|
|Single by Zac Brown Band|
|from the album The Foundation|
|Released||January 19, 2009|
|Label||Atlantic/Home Grown/Big Picture|
|Zac Brown Band singles chronology|
"Whatever It Is" a song by the Zac Brown Band, an American country music group. It is the second single release from the 2008 album The Foundation and the band's second Top 3 hit on the Billboard country singles charts. The song is the follow-up to the band's number-one debut single "Chicken Fried".
"Whatever It Is" was co-written by Zac Brown and Wyatt Durette, with whom Brown also co-wrote the band's debut single "Chicken Fried". In it, the male narrator expresses his love for his female partner by saying that "she's got whatever it is". He also says that whenever he tries to express his feelings for her, "it comes out 'I love you'".
Although he said that it was his "second least-favorite" song on the album, Dan Milliken of Country Universe gave "Whatever It Is" a B- rating. He said that the song sounded "mostly genuine" but at the same time, "too nice to be completely memorable" because it lacked a sense of urgency. Ken Tucker gave a favorable review in Billboard, saying that the song "is a love song, pure and simple, meshing a traditional fiddle-laden sound and modern country harmonies, as lead singer Brown at times channels James Taylor".
Use In Media
- The song was used on Local On The 8s in February to May 2013 on The Weather Channel.
"Whatever It Is" debuted at No. 54 on the Hot Country Songs chart for the chart week of January 24, 2009. It peaked at No. 2 on the charts. On the Billboard Year-End chart, "Whatever It Is" ranked at No. 2 as well.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||72|
|US Billboard Hot 100||26|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||2|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||94|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||2|
- Deming, Mark. "The Foundation review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2009-04-24.
- Milliken, Dan (January 23, 2009). ""Whatever It Is" review". Country Universe. Retrieved 2009-04-24.
- Tucker, Ken (January 28, 2009). ""Whatever It Is" review". Billboard. Retrieved 2009-07-27.[dead link]
- ""Whatever It Is" chart debut". Billboard (magazine). January 24, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-24.[dead link]
- "Billboard Year-End chart for 2009". Billboard.biz. Retrieved April 14, 2010.
- "Zac Brown Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Zac Brown. Retrieved January 28, 2011.
- "Zac Brown Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Zac Brown. Retrieved January 28, 2011.
- "Zac Brown Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Zac Brown. Retrieved January 28, 2011.
- "Year End Charts – Year-end songs – The Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved November 12, 2010.
- "Best of 2009: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2009. Retrieved December 13, 2009.