Whatever You Want
|Whatever You Want|
|Studio album by Status Quo|
|Status Quo chronology|
|Singles from Whatever You Want|
Whatever You Want is the twelfth studio 1979 rock album by the British band Status Quo. It features 10 tracks including the title track. This was the bands 3rd album to be produced by Pip Williams. Recording for this album started in December 1978 at Hilversum Studios in the Netherlands, with the final mixes being completed in London in March 1979. The album was released on 12 October 1979 and entered the chart on 20 October 1979, reaching as high as No.4. The first single from the album - Whatever You Want - was released 14 September, with Hard Ride as the b-side, and rose to its highest chart position of No.3. The second single from the album was Living On An Island, the b-side being Runaway. This was released on 16 November 1979 and reached No.16 in the chart.
The album was remixed for the US market and this version was released in the USA under the title "Now Hear This" in 1980, although this version has never been released on CD anywhere in the world. The tracks "Whatever You Want" and "Living On An Island" were also swapped in the running order of the US remixed version.
- "Whatever You Want" (Parfitt/Bown) - 4:04
- "Shady Lady" (Rossi/Young) - 3:00
- "Who Asked You" (Lancaster) - 4:00
- "Your Smiling Face" (Parfitt/Bown) - 4:25
- "Living on an Island" (Parfitt/Young) - 4:48
- "Come Rock with Me" (Rossi/Frost) - 3:15
- "Rockin' On" (Rossi/Frost) - 3:25
- "Runaway" (Rossi/Frost) - 4:39
- "High Flyer" (Lancaster/Young) - 3:47
- "Breaking Away" (Rossi/Parfitt/Bown) - 6:44
2005 reissue bonus tracks
- "Hard Ride" (Lancaster/Green)
- "Bad Company" (Williams/Hutchins)
- "Another Game In Town" (demo) (Rossi/Frost)
- "Shady Lady" (demo) (Rossi/Young)
- "Rearrange" (demo) (Rossi/Frost)
- "Living On An Island" (single version) (Parfitt/Young)
The album was first released in compact disc format in 1991, on a CD also containing Just Supposin'. To make the two albums fit the single disc, the track "High Flyer" was omitted (the track "The Wild Ones" was omitted from Just Supposin').
The album was digitally remastered and released in compact disc format in 2005. The first release was on 7 March 2005 by Mercury Records in the United Kingdom; the second, on 12 July 2005 by Universal Records International in the United States and elsewhere.
- Francis Rossi - Guitar, vocals
- Rick Parfitt - Guitar, vocals
- Alan Lancaster - Bass, vocals
- John Coghlan - drums
- Andy Bown - keyboards
- Allmusic review
- Starr, Red. "Albums". Smash Hits (November 1–14 1979): 29.
- "CD Albums 1". Status Quo Collectors Page. Archived from the original on 2008-01-17. Retrieved 2008-01-19.