Wheat Ridge High School
|Wheat Ridge High School|
|9505 West 32nd Avenue
Wheat Ridge, Colorado, 80033
|Type||Public secondary school|
|School district||Jefferson County School District R-1|
|Color(s)||blue and gold|
|Athletics conference||Jefferson County League, North Metro (football)|
From the school profile:
Wheat Ridge High School is a “HIGH” achieving school as rated by the Colorado Department of Education. Wheat Ridge has a rich tradition of academic and athletic excellence in Jefferson County. The school has graduated 141 National Merit Finalists, 28 Boettcher Scholars and four Fred Steinmark Award recipients. In addition to strong academic achievements, athletics, marching band, visual and performing arts, and competitive speech programs continue to excel, receiving state and national recognition.
State championship titles:
- Baseball: 1992 (5A)
- Boys' ice Hockey: 2002, 2006, 2007(5A)
- Girls' Ice Hockey: 2007, 2008, 2009
- Boys' basketball: 1944 (B), 1953 (A), 1963 (AAA), 1968 (AAA), 1991 (5A)
- Girls' basketball: 1977 (AAA), 1982 (4A)
- Boys' cross country: 1977 (I), 1979, 1981, (I)2007
- Girls' cross country: 1981 (I)
- Football: 1966 (AAA), 1967 (AAA), 1973 (AAA), 1994 (4A), 1996 (4A), 2006 (4A), 2008 (4A), 2010 (4A)
- Girls' golf: 1991 (team); Amy Root, 1991 (individual)
- Girls' gymnastics: 1985 (III)
- Softball: 2002 (5A), 2003 (5A), 2008 (4A), 2009 (4A), 2013 (4A)
- Girls' Soccer: 2009, 2010
- Girls' swimming: 1987 (5A), 1988 (5A)
- Boys' tennis: 1991 (6A) (This team is considered by many experts to have been the best in Colorado state history and filed a special petition to be moved up to the largest classification of 6A)
- Boys' track and field: 1942 (B), 1944 (B), 1945 (B), 1946 (B), 1950 (B), 1978 (AAA)
- Girls' track and field: 1978 (AAA)
- Girls' volleyball: 1987 (4A), 1990 (5A)
State athletic records held by school athletes:
- 200-yard freestyle, 4A class: Brianna Loecher, Wheat Ridge 1:50.73 2000
- 500-yard freestyle, 4A class: Brianna Loecher, Wheat Ridge 4:58.74 2011
- Basketball regular season free throw percentage, 5A Class: Ted Pancoast, Wheat Ridge 92.7% 1992
Fight Farmers down the field, Wheat Ridge will win, Fight on to victory, Wheat Ridge knows no defeat. So roll up a mighty score, Never give in! Shoulder to shoulder we will Fight, Fight, Fight, Fight, Win!
- Annaleigh Ashford, Broadway actress
- Jeff Fosnes, Vanderbilt University basketball player (1972-1976), Golden State Warriors draft pick (1976), two-time NCAA Academic All-American, and Sunkist High School All-American.
- Pat Frink, NBA player (Cincinnati Royals)
- Tim Gill, co-founder of Quark, Inc. and LGBT rights activist
- Dave Logan, NFL player, football coach, radio and television host
- Nathan Marquardt, professional mixed martial arts fighter
- Dean Reed, actor, director, singer, and songwriter
- Freddie Steinmark, starting safety on Texas' 1969 national championship team and author of "I Play to Win," published after he lost his battle to cancer in 1971.
- Don Styron, American Hurdler, still current World Record holder in the now defunct 200 meter Low Hurdle race, set in 1960.
Pat Frink, C. U. and NBA Player http://www.nba.com/historical/playerfile/index.html?player=pat_frink
- State Team Champions. Colorado High School Activities Association.
- Forbes, Brian (2006-09-30). "Wheat Ridge still savors state title team, 40 years later". Denver Post.
- Bornstein, Lisa (2006-04-15). "'Wicked' role good news for rising Denver actress. Rocky Mountain News .
- Bluestein, Larry (2006-1-10). "Colorado: Still Churning Out the Talent". MSLCombines.com.
- basketball-reference.com profile.
- Kim, Myung Oak and Burt Hubbard (2006-10-23). "For Gill, it's not about the money". Rocky Mountain News.
- Pleuss, Dennis (2005-11-23). "History at A-West runs deep for Logan". Mile High News.
- "Fight Night". Westword. 2007-07-05.
- Harsanyi, David (2006-07-17). "Red, maybe, but Reed was no Elvis". Denver Post.
- "Freddie Joe Steinmark". The Handbook of Texas Online.
- Wheat Ridge High School official website
- Wheat Ridge High School Music Boosters
- Wheat Ridge High School Class of 1970 web site
- Wheat Ridge High School Class of 1973 web site
- Wheat Ridge High School Alumni Facebook Page