Wheaton (WMATA station)
|Address||11171 Georgia Avenue
|Platforms||2 inter-connected side platforms|
|Bicycle facilities||36 racks, 20 lockers|
|Opened||September 22, 1990|
|Owned by||Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority|
The station serves the suburb of Wheaton, and is located at the intersection of Georgia Avenue (Maryland Route 97) and Reedie Drive. This station features the longest set of single-span escalators in the Western Hemisphere, each featuring a length of 230 feet (70 m), with a vertical rise of 115 feet (35 m). It is the second deepest station in the system, behind Forest Glen, which has an elevator-only exit due to its depth. Wheaton's escalators travel at a speed of 90 feet (27 m) per minute (±5%) and are set at an inclination of 30 degrees. The trip takes approximately 2 minutes and 45 seconds, though some commuters shorten the time by walking.
Another architectural feature of this station is separate tunnels and platforms for each direction, instead of the large, vaulted common room seen at most other underground stations in the Metro system. This design, which is similar to many of the London Underground's tube stations, was used to save money due to the station's depth. Forest Glen is the only other Washington Metro station to have this design.
Service at Wheaton began on September 22, 1990. It was the northeastern end of the Red Line for nearly eight years, until the Glenmont station opened in July 1998.
Notable places nearby 
- Westfield Wheaton (formerly Wheaton Plaza) - shopping mall
- Metro Facts. Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. Accessed September 14, 2010.
- The Washington Post. "Standing on the Left? You Must Be on Vacation", 5/17, 2004, Washington, D.C.: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31605-2004May16.html
- Elevator/Escalator Department, WMATA. Reply to a costumer inquiry, Case 580424. Answer forwarded by Helen B. Gregory, Costumer Service, WMATA, 9/14, 2010
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Wheaton (WMATA station)|
- WMATA: Wheaton Station
- StationMasters Online: Wheaton Station
- The Schumin Web Transit Center: Wheaton Station
- Reedie Drive entrance from Google Maps Street View
- This station is the likely setting of this XKCD cartoon
|This article relating to the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Maryland train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|