Wheelersburg High School
|Wheelersburg High School|
|701 Pirate Drive|
|Type||(Ohio) public, rural, high school|
|School district||Wheelersburg Local School District|
|Principal||Matthew McCorkle, Principal
Chris Porter, Asstistant Principal & Athletic Director
|Head of school||Mark Knapp, Superintendent|
|Athletics||baseball, boys' and girls' basketball, boys' and girls' cross country, boys' golf, boys' soccer, fast pitch softball, boys' and girls' swimming, boys' and girls' tennis, boys' and girls' track, and girls' volleyball |
|Athletics conference||Southern Ohio Conference - Division II |
Wheelersburg High School (WHS) is a public high school in Wheelersburg, Scioto County, Ohio. It is the only high school in the Wheelersburg Local School District, which is located in Porter Township along the northern bank of the Ohio River in Southern Ohio. Wheelersburg's mascot is the Pirates and their school colors are orange and black.
The district is bordered by the Bloom-Vernon Local School District and the Minford Local School District to the north along Ohio 140, the Green Local School District to the east along U.S. 52 and Ohio 522 (before entering Lawrence County), and the Portsmouth City School District to the west.
A new K-12 academic building is currently under construction. Students entered the new building during the 2008-2009 school year.
For the past five years, the Wheelersburg High School has received an "Excellent" rating on the State of Ohio's Local Report Card.
There are ten school districts and eleven high schools in Scioto County along with one parochial school as well as several private and community schools. The school's athletic affiliation is with the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) and the Southern Ohio Conference (SOC), which has sixteen member schools and is divided into two divisions (SOC I & SOC II) based on the schools' enrollment. The SOC includes teams from four different Ohio counties - Jackson County (Oak Hill High School), Lawrence County (Symmes Valley High School), Pike County (Waverly High School, Eastern High School, and Western High School), and Scioto County (Clay High School, Green High School, Glenwood High School, Sciotoville Community School, Valley High School, Northwest High School, Minford High School, Portsmouth West High School, Notre Dame High School, South Webster High School, and Wheelersburg High School).
Ohio High School Athletic Association championships and appearances
- Boys' Baseball – 1996 (def. Middlefield Cardinal 4-1), 2012 (def. Lima Central Catholic 1-0)  2013 (def. Bloom-Carroll 5-4) 
- Boys' Basketball
- OHSAA State Runner-up
- OHSAA Final Four Appearances
- Football – 1989 (def. Warren John F. Kennedy 14-7) 
- Girls' Softball - OHSAA State Runner-up - 2004 (d. Archbold 2-1 & lost to Woodsfield Monroe Central 1-0 to finish season at 25-6)
In 1989, the Wheelersburg "Pirates" football team won the Division IV state championship by defeating the Warren John F. Kennedy "Eagles" 14-7. The Pirates were led by head coach Ed Miller, who also won two Ohio Associated Press state championships at Portsmouth Notre Dame in 1967 and 1970.
The Pirates are members of the Southern Ohio Conference, Division II. "The Burg," as it is affectionately called, has won their conference twenty-seven times. In fact, Wheelersburg has captured more conference titles than all other member schools (Lucasville Valley, Minford, Portsmouth West, Scioto Northwest and Waverly) combined.
Making the OHSAA football playoffs eighteen times, the Pirates have captured five regional titles, reaching the state playoffs in 1981, 1989, 1991, 1994 and 1998. The Pirates won the SOC title against the West Senators for their 27th SOC title, on October 26, 2007.
- OHSAA. "OHSAA Member Schools". Retrieved 2007-05-10.
- OAC. "Ohio Academic Competition". Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-05-22.
- QuestionsUnlimited. "National Academic Champions". Retrieved 2007-07-02.
- "District Local Report Card Information".
- Ohio Department of Development. "Ohio County Profiles: Scioto County" (PDF). Retrieved 2007-05-11.
- Southern Ohio Conference (January 2007). "Southern Ohio Conference Constitution and By-laws".
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Baseball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- OHSAA. "OHSAA 84th Annual State Basketball Tournament Program". p. 51 & 59.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site, 2006 Boys' Div. III Basketball Recap". Retrieved 2007-07-23.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site, 2007 Boys' Div. III Basketball Recap". Retrieved 2007-07-23.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Football". Retrieved 2007-06-20.
- OHSAA. "OHSAA 30th Annual State Fast Pitch Softball Tournament Program". p. 37.
- Wheelersburg Athletic Department. "Wheelersburg High School Championships". Retrieved 2007-05-24.
Walt Whitman High School
|National Academic Championship champion
Skyline High School